Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Question About Groups >

Question About Groups

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Question About Groups

Old 07-27-2005, 02:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Question About Groups

In all the hunting, shooting and reloading magazines, each article will have a picture or 5 of the target showing how well the gun groups. However, it's very rare that any of these groups is near the bullseye. Why don't they turn the scope a few clicks and move the groups onto bull before they take the pictures? I know it doesn't mean squat about how well a gun shoots, but I think it wouldn't be too difficult.
Old 07-27-2005, 03:27 PM

Default RE: Question About Groups

I have wondered the same thing. The only thing I have come up with. is that the groups are easier to see if their not in the bull. Just better for the pic being taken. I guess.
Old 07-27-2005, 03:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

Could it beto replicate how many hunter's find or develop the right load!!! I personally don't fine tune my scope until I find the load in which I will be using and rarely is it in the right place from the get go....just a theory!
Old 07-27-2005, 04:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

I’ve been starting to practice shooting at the range and have started shooting for groups and not for the bulleye. The cross hairs are always o/c of the bullseye but where the bullets hit is another story. Only once I get a load I’ll like and I’m satisfied I will dial it in.

It could be the same thing for theses guys with trying new loads to see how they perform and maybe there rifle are dialed in for a certain load and don’t want to change anything.
Old 07-27-2005, 06:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm with Skeeter and Trailer on this one. I always bore sight, work up/shoot loads then when I've found that magic load I dial it in during the next target session. I imagine these 'gun writers' are putting several different free factory and/or handloads through these rifles and no two are going to group the same. I suppose they could go back and re-zero for every load tested, but why? I doesn't really prove anything if the group is in the bullseye or not when it's printing 1/2 MOA.....I reallize you already stated that though.
Old 07-27-2005, 07:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'm with Skeeter and Trailer on this one.
Me too.I zero the scope after load development.
Old 07-28-2005, 05:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

OK. I got it now. If they're testing 5 different loads, the chances of all of them being on the bull are slim. Some are closer than others. You're right. They probably keep one zero and just shoot groups with other loads without constantly rezeroing. Since I only use a few pet loads in my rifles, it's easier to keep my groups in the middle.