Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 blackhorned caused rust >

blackhorned caused rust

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

blackhorned caused rust

Old 10-12-2008, 04:26 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: blackhorned caused rust

rafsob

All black powders and substitutes are hydorscopic and will draw moisture, which willcorrode metal.
You might better check more into BH... it is a black powder sub but it not the hydroscopic... it is really a progessive burning smokeless powder that you might use in a regular rifle. It was engineered to match the power and volume characteristics of Swiss/T7. If you request a government MSDS sheet it should be apparent or just open a jug of the odor will tell you right away. It is not NC but sure has a bunch of Ether in it.

But then again for this topic what does it matter?... any barrel bore that is unprotected from moisture or climate is suseptible to rust... even your centerfire barrels.
Old 10-13-2008, 10:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: FG

hey steve why dont u post some useful info rather than always trying to start crap with someone?

And if i were to bash a product here, its would be that expensive non corrosive powder thats not supposed to rust or corrode.
Hey fg - starting and pointing out crap are 2 different things.
And pointing out crap and possible wrong info is usefull.

Saying you know of a problem but refusing to give the details is crap - and bs.

This is not about a powder - it is about you posting you know of a problem with a TC product.
If true, do something usefull and provide the proof.

Steve
Old 10-13-2008, 07:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

Non-corrosive powder does not keep a barrel from rusting it takes oil to do that. Smokeless powder people ruin guns all the time by leveing them rust up. Lee
Old 10-14-2008, 09:20 AM
Typical Buck

well if there were previous post that were regarding bh209 rusting barrels i sure missed them. i would have liked to have learned the easy way instead of the hard way.
FG where's the info that could have saved mea hell of alot of trouble???
Old 10-14-2008, 09:33 AM
Fork Horn

I don't think it was the blackhorn that caused therust. I think it was the lack of oil in the barrel. If you had left a centerfire rifle in the same condition with out any oil in the barrel I think it would rust to under the right conditions (Humidity). I would never leave any of my guns without anything in the barrel to protect it no matter what kind of powder I was using.And yes, I do shootBH209 and love the stuff.
Old 10-15-2008, 07:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: sabotloader

rafsob

All black powders and substitutes are hydorscopic and will draw moisture, which willcorrode metal.
You might better check more into BH... it is a black powder sub but it not the hydroscopic... it is really a progessive burning smokeless powder that you might use in a regular rifle.
I am having a problem with the idea that this is in fact a smokeless powder that mimicks BP. If that is the case I would have a problemcalling it a BP sub. I guess I will have to look into this high priced powder. But I can tell ya that I still would not think of buying this high dollared stuff.

Can everyone say real black powder??? It is stil the best!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-15-2008, 08:28 AM
Boone & Crockett

rafsob

T7, BM3, and several other subs are smokeless also but they are not progressive. They are a sugar based powder - ascorbic acid powder with smoke added. These are subs because they burn like BP and are close to equal in volume and pressure... So hence they can be subbed...
Old 10-15-2008, 08:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

I didn't know that!!! Thanks for the info. Now I can update in my limited knowledge base.

I still love my Goex FF/FFF powder.