Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 blackhorned caused rust >

blackhorned caused rust

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

blackhorned caused rust

Old 10-10-2008, 05:06 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: blackhorned caused rust

First off remember, we take the oil out of the barrel before we shoot. We also pop 209 primers through the rifle. Then we shoot Black Horn 209 powder. Actually it does not surprise me at all that your rifle rusted. Three weeks without any cleaning or oil to protect the bore, IMO the rifle should have rusted.

While I like Black Horn 209 powder, I would never leave a rifle uncleaned. Even my center fire rifles get cleaned and oiled. When you shoot a rifle, you fowl a rifle. When a rifle is fowled it will rust. No matter what powder you shoot. Some just take longer then others. Its a shame you had to discover this the hard way, but it is a wake up call to all people shooting their rifles, no matter what powder. If you shoot it, you should clean it..
Old 10-10-2008, 06:52 PM
Typical Buck

well i've been scrubbing the heck out of the barrel. it seems to be clean but yet a little discolored. the patches are still coming out gray and not brown or orange.I can't believe i made such a rookie mistake. i am so anal about my guns and try to keep everything in mint condiction.
so much for believing what i read about a product. Toby Bridges said that he never cleaned his gun all season. i took that as good words. i hope that there's no damange to the barrel. i don't see any pitting just a mild discoloration.
Old 10-10-2008, 08:29 PM
Spike

probably somebody else cleans Toby's gun for him
Old 10-11-2008, 12:31 AM
Spike

After this post I went and checked my Triumph. I was out last Saturday, a hot, dry & windy day. Took three shots that day and third one was a hang fire. Put a foaming bore cleaner in there for an hour and then pulled a patch through. Quite orange. I will try cleaning my rifle with just Hoppes next time. Wondering if that foaming cleaner reacted with something to cause the orange. Pulled the Hoppes patch through and the patch looked more black. A lot tougher to clean after sitting a few days vs cleaningthe rifle immediately after use.

Old 10-11-2008, 04:57 PM
Boone & Crockett

I always keep some presoaked patches with Butch's Bore Shine in my shooting box and run a couple through the bore before I even leave the range. Then when I get home, if something comes up that I can't clean it immediately (like my Mom's birthday today) I don't have to worry too much. The Bore is pretty clean already and has a protective coating on it. And it can wait a few hours before it gets a hot soapy water bath.
Old 10-12-2008, 07:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: FG

you sure is was the powder and not the barrel itself? This isnt the first post ive seen where the weathershield barrel was rusting no matter how it was cleaned.
Got links to those posts?

Steve
Old 10-12-2008, 12:46 PM
FG

dont start that BS steve.
Old 10-12-2008, 04:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

If the company that makes this high dollared substitute claims that thier powder will not rust a barrel, they are flat out liars!!! All black powders and substitutes are hydorscopic and will draw moisture, which willcorrode metal.

I can't believe anyone would leave their BP gun dirty and uncleaned for three weeks. Unless they are filthy rich.
Old 10-12-2008, 04:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: FG

dont start that BS steve.
What BS????????????????

You make a post stating you know of a problem - provide the evidence it's real !!!

Otherwise it is an internet rumor and an attempt at bashing totally without proof.
That would be BS - avoid for by providing the links - if they exist, you post was justified. .

Steve

Old 10-12-2008, 04:22 PM
FG

hey steve why dont u post some useful info rather than always trying to start crap with someone?

And if i were to bash a product here, its would be that expensive non corrosive powder thats not supposed to rust or corrode.

Quick Reply: blackhorned caused rust

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.