Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Blackhorn Fever - I Think I'm Cured >

Blackhorn Fever - I Think I'm Cured

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Blackhorn Fever - I Think I'm Cured

Old 09-05-2008, 07:54 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default Blackhorn Fever - I Think I'm Cured

Well, here I am, still at my sister-in-law's in Georgia. I had to gosporting goods store & pawn shop prowling today just to get out of this house full of women.

Ended up at a place called the Bargain Barn that's kind of a mini-Cabela's, except that instead of calling it the "Bargain Barn" they should have called it "Cabela's Plus Ten-Percent" - `cause that's what their prices are like.

So I'm wandering around the gun department andup on a shelf behind thecounter - along with the Pyrodex and Triple 7 -sits one lone canister of Blackhorn 209. Now you guys know I've been resisting Blackhorn with great resolve, even though Cayugad has been trying to tempt me into trying it (and even though he himself has yet to order that KRB)and I have to admit I've been weakening. One canister - standing there staring at it - money in my pocket - COULD THIS BE DESTINY???

In a moment of great weakness I ask the guy behind the counter "what's the price on that Blackhorn 209?" He picks it up, looks at the tag, and says "$33.95 plus tax". Right then I hada flashback of the last time I shot my Mustang with 120 grains of GOEX FFFg (under $11 a pound) and 300 grain Gold Dots and got pretty consistent inch-and-a-half 100 yard groups. And clean-up wasn't that bad. And I really didn't mind doing it. Sure,BH mightgive me half-inch groups instead of inch and a half; but would that change my life significantly? And sure, I wouldn't have to swab the barrel between shots with BH, but who needs to shoot that fast anyway? And yes, it would have been interestingjust to play around with that stuff just for the heck of it - but I've got at least afew dozen experiments yet to conductwith the GP flinter, Zouave, andRenegade, so I've plenty of things to play around with.

Well, I walked away from the counter just shaking my head. Then I walked back and stared at that jug some more. The Iwalked away again andthe BH fever began to slowly subside. By the time I got to the car I felt almost normal. By the time I got to the package store and dropped my $35 on a bottle of good Scotch I felt MUCH better and the BH fever was completely broken. Now - to aviod re-infection.
Old 09-05-2008, 08:09 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Blackhorn Fever - I Think I'm Cured

I shot a whole can yesterday at the range and swabbed my gun once, and every thing loaded like the first shot. Nice groups, hardly no smoke.........im hooked
Old 09-05-2008, 08:11 PM
Boone & Crockett

Stop It! Stop It!
Old 09-05-2008, 08:12 PM
Fork Horn

I went to Cabelas after work and bought the last three cans they had left...............
Old 09-05-2008, 08:17 PM
Boone & Crockett

Semisane

I am headed to the rock pit in the morning with Disc Extreme... I am only shooting T7 cause I know that is what I am using this hunting season... next month is coming in a hurry...
Old 09-05-2008, 08:21 PM
Fork Horn

Our ML season isnt until dec.27 -30 so im just buying a bunch of different bullets and sabots and testing them out. I love muzzleloading but sometimes the thought of cleanup and swabbing between shots at the range, and loading, and the mess in the kitchen after cleanup, just made me pass up alot of trips to the gun club with my buddies. Blackhorn has made it really fun again for me personally. I feel like i load just as fast as my varmit rifle.................
Old 09-05-2008, 09:07 PM
Boone & Crockett

revpilot

Our hunting season starts Oct 10, that is the beginning of the general rifle season - but I hunt all year now with a ML, a scoped inline during rifle season a TC Renegade during our ML season....

I love muzzleloading but sometimes the thought of cleanup and swabbing between shots at the range, and loading, and the mess in the kitchen after cleanup
All guns need to be cleaned eventually and cleaning T7 is pretty darn easy.. you really do not even need to do the water thing with T7 if you do not want to. Swabbing while shooting - see I find no problem with that either - got to do something while the barrel cools and running a cool moist swab down the barrel in fact helps the barrel cool... While hunting in the past -I usually do swab after that first shot because I wanted that quick (ya right!) second shot. Well now after all of these years hunting - I have finally figured out it really is not much different than rifle hunting - how often do you really need the second shot if you do the job on the first shot. And since I have started using a ML I am much more picky about that first shot placement - but that is the beauty of ML hunting you have to be more precise and a lot more choosey about the shot.

For cleanup - I end up using a plastic bucket on the floor of the shower... But then again during hunting season I just field clean the gunand then strip clean at the end of the season.

And of course the final reaso I say with T7 - I am cheap and I do shoot a lot... cost per shot is a concern for me.

And the last if ain't broke why try to fix it...
Old 09-05-2008, 09:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

semi, need help with that scotch.

Old 09-05-2008, 09:27 PM
Dominant Buck

[] [&o] poor semisane. He had the big chance and passed on it for a bottle of scotch. And to think he will now wonder for the longest time what could have been. And no hazmat fee to boot. All because of a bottle of scotch.
Old 09-06-2008, 06:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

I think he did the right thing, heaven is not for everyone; some people enjoy suffering. Lee

Quick Reply: Blackhorn Fever - I Think I'm Cured

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.