Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Understanding sabots >

Understanding sabots

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Understanding sabots

Old 09-05-2008, 03:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Understanding sabots

After today I am not sure I ever will, I got some of the Harvestor Short Black sabots because everybody seem to have good results with SW and BH and Short black sabots well so did I shot some fantastic groups right of the bat, So after thinking about it for a while I decieded to try the with my new 240 XTP Mag's and my 250 Gold Dots. It was awful would you believe 5 inch groups, so switch back to Crush Ribs and here comes the 1 and 1.25 groups again. These bullets are within .0005 of the same size! It begins to look like the only way to tell if you are getting the best results possible is to shoot all the sabots with the bullets you like. Lee
Old 09-05-2008, 03:51 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Understanding sabots

I guess there are just some combos that go together and some that don't for somereason that only the muzzleloader gods know about. But aint it fun trying new things out. Makes finding that 'perfect combo' of bullet, sabot, and charge all the more rewarding.
Old 09-05-2008, 03:53 PM
Spike

Lee,
That's a very good assumption. We must remember that each weapon is an individual unique unto itself and the only way to know what works the best is to try different combinations for accuracy, like you said, with the bullet (s) that you want to use.
You just have to nique up on it.
Have fun in your search.
Old 09-05-2008, 04:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

Makes sense to me...I learned a long time ago that the lowly patch in my flintlock needed much more attention than many gave them...They can make you or break you...

Remember several years ago when the sabots were different between a 250 Shockwave and a 250 SST???

My Knight loved the sabots that came with the Shockwaves, didn't like the ones with the SSTs and didn't like the MMP-24s...
I went out and bought 10 boxes of the Shockwaves...
Old 09-05-2008, 05:23 PM
Typical Buck

Also...throw in the individual rifles bore size (eg: TCs have a generally tighter bore).
Old 09-05-2008, 06:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: lemoyne

After today I am not sure I ever will, I got some of the Harvestor Short Black sabots because everybody seem to have good results with SW and BH and Short black sabots well so did I shot some fantastic groups right of the bat, So after thinking about it for a while I decieded to try the with my new 240 XTP Mag's and my 250 Gold Dots. It was awful would you believe 5 inch groups, so switch back to Crush Ribs and here comes the 1 and 1.25 groups again. These bullets are within .0005 of the same size! It begins to look like the only way to tell if you are getting the best results possible is to shoot all the sabots with the bullets you like. Lee
I know exactly what you mean. In my Savage I tried the Barnes Origonal with MMP Orange, 3Petal EZ, CR and Red Crushed rib. Very different POI difference with the same bullet, same powder and same primer. Some guys shoot the Orange MMP .458 sabots with the Barnes Origonals and they shoot well, mine didn't shoot that good with them, howeve with the black Crushed Rib, very tight nice groups. Sabot is one of the cheapest easiest ways to get good groups. My Omega seems to shoot about any 300g bullet well with CR. I like the CR since when I was using 777, I didn't have to swab quite as careful. It is amazing that they make that much difference, I think it is the way the bullet and sabot react to pressure. Chap
Old 09-05-2008, 07:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

The SW 250 and 300 were ones that shot ok but not great while the Gold Dot shot a number of .625 and one .55 groups with the Short black Harvester the shock Waves have shot a .210 [better than my varmint rifle] and always under an inch in decent conditions but I can't find any thing else that will even shot decent with the Short Black.
I am wondering if the sabot length in relation to the ogive of the bullet. Lee
Old 09-06-2008, 09:17 AM
Giant Nontypical

Did some more shooting, the Short Black Harvester always groups best with the 250 Shock wave in my Triumph with any load of BH from 90 to 120 so I thought I would see if we could put a list together. All these shot good groups with one sabot, just don't ask why because I don't believe any one has a really good answer. Please add any to the list that will with reasonably consistent shoot under one inch.
In a .500 dia. bore
SW 250 with Short Black Harvester & 90 to 120 gr BH
250 Gold Dot with Harvester Crush Rib & 110gr BH
250 XTP with MMP HPH24&110gr BH
200gr SW [50/40] with included sabot & 110gr BH
200gr SW new Crush Rib Harvester sabot &90gr BH