Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Understanding KE >

Understanding KE

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Understanding KE

Old 03-13-2004, 06:36 AM

Default Understanding KE

I would like to know what most bow hunters would like to see out of their Bow setups as far as KE! What I am getting at is what does it take for a minimum to hunt Elk bear moose?KE wise. What do you want to see out of your equipment? I now shot placement and aacuracy is everything but their has to be a bottom line on your equipment, and I want your opinion on it! Do you shoot the same set up at white tail you do at elk? Just would like to knowfor peace of mind!
Old 03-14-2004, 02:07 PM

Default RE: Understanding KE

i like to see at least 60ke i know with a fixed blade i'm going though . more is better but you pay for it.a good shot doulbe lung with 50 ke is going though. the more ke the more speed i shoot 433 grain arrow which is a little light to me but only pull 60#s i get 65for ke at 265 fps at 30 inch draw.i would like to shoot 500+ grains but like to keep up the arrow speed.the faster the bow the more ke you can dish out and the flatter you can shoot heavy arrows which is best for elk.
Old 03-14-2004, 03:04 PM

thanks for repling Selway! My problem is I am a short draw length, 27in., so that takes 30fps right of the top for me. my bow the xtec is 310ibo, so right of the bat again Iam 280 plus string silencers, peep with tube aligner, kisser that puts me an additional (estimateing) 10fps in the hole. so the best I can do with a light arrow is 270. I chrono my rig an avarage of 264/265 fps shooting a375grain arrow = 56ke or real close to that! So what do I do if I want to go Elk or bear hunting being a short draw? Where do I or how do I pick up extra speed? I thought about going too a 65% letof instead of 75%, Hoyt says that should increase 10 fps., then go winners choice string Usually pic up 3-5fps says winners choice. Or do I scrap it all and go with bows that IBO at 330? So I dont start in the hole! Which seems not right. Oya I am pulling my max on my limbs, which is 71lbs. Any thoughts? I cant be the only guy with short draw, that wants to hunt elk? with this problem?
Old 03-14-2004, 05:17 PM

Your bow is IMO plenty to put those big animals down.

If you want to tweak some more speed out fine.

But you need to get that arow a little heavier IMO. Get it up to 450 or so. Use a good cut on impact blade like steelforce and you will put a hurting on those elk
Old 03-14-2004, 09:02 PM

i agree with rack on a heavier arrow. with your setup i would shoot 400 grains this will get you at 45 to 47 ke at 50 yards.256fps 400 grain arrow ke 58 lbs. that being said most shots at elk are under 30 yards anyway you will be over 50 ke at that range fixed head you will get a passthough with a double lung.if you hit shoulders your in trouble with any bow.get rid of the peep tube nothing but problems and speed robber. get a bowstring made out of 452x bcy 35% vectron is put in it to stop creep.2 to 3 fps slower than 8125 but always stable in heat and differant conditions not like 8125 i would go with a plastic 4 groove peep with this string and you should pickup about 5 fps over your rubber hose.another thing on elk hunting hunt where its thicker you well get your elk in a lot closer if you hunt in more open terrain you will see more but they more than likely will be much farther out.as far as changing bows you could but what you have will be fine.adjust your hunting to your weapon.that being said you still have enough ke for a passthough on a elk at 50 yards with a double lung with a fixed broadhead.
Old 03-15-2004, 05:04 AM
Boone & Crockett

When considering penetration on big game animals the size of elk, etc.. I think you need to look at more than just KE. Momentum should also be considered and I think that what the above suggestions are somewhat referencing is that by going to a heavier arrow you are increasing your momentum while keeping your KE at about the same level.

My typical setups have been normally generating between 70 and 75 ft. lbs of KE with a 420-440 grain arrow. I have not run the numbers through Jackson's KE calculator for me new bows....yet. I would have no hesitation about using my particular whitetail setup for just about any other big game animal in NA provided I am using the correct broadhead and my shot placement is there.