Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Omega - Power Belts and Shockwaves and a ? >

Omega - Power Belts and Shockwaves and a ?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Omega - Power Belts and Shockwaves and a ?

Old 09-02-2008, 07:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Omega - Power Belts and Shockwaves and a ?

Hello All,

Well I believe I finally figured out my Omega. Bottom line she doesn't like to be shot dirty. Dirty in her world, because she's a pre-madonna, is about 4 shots. The point of impact drops down and left almost immediately after 3rd shot. Each shot past 3 is way off.

I'm using 777 pellets and the 777 primers.

The power belts and the shockwaves shot with about the same accuracy. Surprisingly the Power Belts slightly out shot the Shockwaves. The smallest group I was able to produce with the Power belts measured about 1.5-2" at 50 yards. The best 100 yard group was also with the Power Belts at between 3 and 4".

Oh one other thing the Power Belts load so easy in the Omega. Like super easy. Probably don't even need a bullet starter.

My Knight Master hunter shoots the lights out with the shockwaves so I'm a bit disappointed with this performance. With that said, the Omega is going bear hunting. The Omega will be out in the woods in search of a black bear on Monday of next week.

Question:

I have a question about getting the breech plug clean. Can I use break cleaner to clean the breech plug? Any other ideas on cleanign it fast and getting the hole clean. I do not have anythign that I can insert into that hole without fearing that it would get stuck.

Thanks for the help.

Tom
Old 09-02-2008, 07:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Omega - Power Belts and Shockwaves and a ?

My wal mart sells a nipple pick that has a thin wire in it that can be extended and then retracted back into the body or handleof the tool.
It is the only one I have found to work.I think it is made by tc.
BTW? what weight PB's and SW's were you shooting?
Old 09-02-2008, 09:33 AM

My omega is really primer picky. Accuracy can really go to hell if i use the wrong primer. Try a remington kleanbore if they are available to you.

I dont like T7 due to it being really inconsistent for me, so i use pyrodex and really hasnt given me any trouble.
Old 09-02-2008, 09:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

statjunk
To get the best results you have to wipe T7 between every shot period. If you dont want to do that the try Black Horn it shoots best without being wiped.
Cleaning the breach plug, a strait pin or a hat pin work quit well for me, if you are using 777 just drop it in boiling water for a while then pour the water off and wipe it down. Be careful dont get burned.
Lee
Old 09-02-2008, 09:45 AM
Dominant Buck

You want good breech plug and nipple picks, save the 1st (high E)and 2nd strings on a guitar when people change them over. Some duct tape and a wire cutter and you have a boat load of stiff, cheap nipple picks.

Clean the breech plug with brake cleaner or carb cleaner, but be careful it does not get in your eyes. Also I find an air compressor will blow stuff out of the breech plugs and even help dry them.

If your gun starts going south after four shots, pull the breech plug and with a spray like you suggested, blow that thing clean. Then swab that bore with about six or seven damp patches then some dry patches. Or start testing some other powders and primers like FG said. Some rifles just hate certain primers. My rifles like the Winchester W209. But I do not own an Omega... [&o]
Old 09-02-2008, 10:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

I used 250gr Shockwaves and 245gr Power Belts.

Since I'm leaving on Saturday no more time to try other things but I will try it in the future.

Thanks for all the suggestions on cleaning the breech plug.

Tom
Old 09-02-2008, 11:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Good luck Tom
I hope you have a good safe hunt
Those 245 PB's have done well for me in the past,just dont push them to hard espesicaly at close range.
Old 09-02-2008, 06:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: lemoyne

statjunk
To get the best results you have to wipe T7 between every shot period. If you dont want to do that the try Black Horn it shoots best without being wiped.
Cleaning the breach plug, a strait pin or a hat pin work quit well for me, if you are using 777 just drop it in boiling water for a while then pour the water off and wipe it down. Be careful dont get burned.
Lee
I have an Omega and Lee is exactly right, you have to swab between shots for best accuracy. This is on page 37 of the manual. Chap