Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

power belts

Old 11-04-2005, 07:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default power belts

Got one today using my new omega and hollow tip power belts.
Boy i got to say those power belts do some damage it broke one rib on the entrance and six on the exit.Shredded both lungs.Dropped her where she stood.
Old 11-04-2005, 07:51 PM

Default RE: power belts

Amen. best thing since sliced bread.I shoot the 225 gr. hollow point in 45 cal.took three bucks this week with them.
can't say anything bad about them, except the price,a little pricey.
Old 11-04-2005, 08:40 PM
Dominant Buck

I agree with Tree Climber.. they do shoot well out of many rifles. I also hate them because of their cost. Yet, the accuracy out of my CVA Staghorn with them is hard to beat. Congratulations on taking deer guys!! That's what it is all about.

I talked to the farmer where I was hunting last week. He was out in the field bringing back firewoods with his truck and he said the trail I walk in to my tree stand at, he almost hit a monster 10 pointer with his truck. I told him to leave it alone...
Old 11-04-2005, 08:54 PM

YEP; SOME LOVE-EM SOME HATE-EM ME IM A POWERBELT LOVER. I SHOOT THE 225 AERO-TIP
IN MY BEARTOOTH MAG. IN 45CAL. 100gr.OF
777 IN PELLET FORM WITH THE NEW REM KLEEN
BORE PRIMER FOR ML. TOOK TWO MEAT DOES
IN EARLY ML-SEASON HERE IN KY. CONGRATS ON
THE HARVEST. UP-DATE SHOT A 150LB. 4-POINT
BUCK TODAY WITH THE SAME SET-UP 100yds.
HE TOOK ONE STEP BEFORE PILING UP IN A HEAP!!
Old 11-05-2005, 04:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

thanks guys .I got a couple of packs at the end of the season at Walmart
cheap they were like six $ ,so ipicked them up and i planed on getting a new gun for this season .Very happy with both
Old 11-07-2005, 01:41 PM

At first I liked the Powerbelts for my Omega because they were so much easier to load than anything else. But since I've fired off about 300-400 shots I've found that the Shockwaves and the Hornady XTP/MMP's that were initially very hard to load now load a lot easier and that the Powerbelts just don't give me the groups I desire, whereas the former shoot very tight groups.
Old 11-08-2005, 07:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

powerbelts ,i will never use them agine, i shoot a t/c encore 50 cal. and what happend would have to be seen to belived ,almost all the shots keyhold ,all the skirts that i could find looked like they were turned in side out and the hole was inlarged ,one skirt even was found stuck it the paper target at100yds.

ok so you want to say to much powder ,then wy do the shockwaves work so well with the same load?
Old 11-08-2005, 07:44 PM

Because the Shockwaves are designed to be used with magnum charges. The Powerbelt usually works best with around 100 grains of powder. The reason they load so easy is that only the plastic skirt is engaging the rifling when you seat them down the barrel.

If you remove the skirt, you can drop the actual bullet down that barrel of most guns - if the barrelis clean. Upon firing, the heat and pressure of the burning charge causes the lead to obturate, or upset, and fill the lands and grooves. If you ever recover a fired powerbelt, you will find deep groove marks in the bullet - and the bullet is about .008 bigger than it was when you loaded it.

The issue is that if you don't load enough powder, the bullet won't upset enough to grab the rifling. If you load too much, the skirt will disintegrate and allow the gasses to get by the bullet before it seals up the bore.
Old 11-10-2005, 08:57 AM

I use to shoot powerbelts,never could get them to shoot good groups.One day I dug several out of the sand bank and guess what they still had the green plastic skirt on them.Shooting 90 grains of 777.I also found several tears in the target that were oblong like the bullet was tumbling.Switched to SST 250's now that is a good shooting round just wish they loaded like the power belts.
Old 11-13-2005, 11:38 AM

if price is unattractive check randy wakemans website on modern muzzleloaders, 100 of any weight/caliber $55 delivered, dont get no cheeeeper[as of 11/12/2005]

Quick Reply: power belts

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.