Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

omega's day again

Old 08-27-2008, 06:00 PM

Default omega's day again

This time i was using 80gr pyrodex rs, remington kleanbore. Check out what i have to deal with when using RS on a clean bore.
1" orange dot.

405gr aerotip powerbelt,

Right now I want to try 3 more shots tomorrow with 70gr pyrodex P on a clean fresh target and will not than likely go with it and know that i will not have to foul the bore with a couple primers like i have to do with RS.

With RS, i have to fire one primer to foul the bore, load the rifle and its dead on. Still within very reasonable hunting accuracy but i do like things to be simple without any worry.

Old 08-27-2008, 06:12 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: omega's day again

A lot of my rifles shoot off.. on a clean bore. I just hunt with a fowled bore. Or they say you can bore butter the barrel and get the fowled results, but I never tried it personally. Nice two shots there.
Old 08-27-2008, 06:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

I was wondering about that today as far as hunting
Shouls I just count my first shot with a clean bore and sight to that shot or should i do a squib shot,fowl the bore and shoot,sight to the fouled bore
Old 08-27-2008, 06:44 PM
Boone & Crockett

Shouls I just count my first shot with a clean bore and sight to that shot or should i do a squib shot,fowl the bore and shoot,sight to the fouled bore
I think it's really just a matter of preference, and IF your gun is consistent with a clean bore. I hunt on a clean barrel with my Mustang because that's what I like and it shoots my preferred load to the same point of aim with every clean bore shot. Also, I know if I have to take a second shot on a one-shot fouled bore it will be within three inches of the clean bore point-of-aim. Now with my Zouave, I never know where that first clean bore shot will go. It might be a few inches above, below, or to the side of POA.
Old 08-27-2008, 06:45 PM
Fork Horn

Nice shooting there FG, I think I will definately be fouling my Omega the day before.

Old 08-27-2008, 06:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: saxman1

that is why most guys swab the Omega with 777 or pyrodex, but with BH no swabbing. The Omega manual says to swab between shots for best accuracy, page 37 of the Omega Manual. Chap

Old 08-27-2008, 06:57 PM
Fork Horn

sax, I sight mine in for the clean bore since I want to make sure how the gun shoots when its clean
Old 08-27-2008, 07:52 PM
Boone & Crockett

gleason.chapman

Chap, i never shoot on what you would call a clean bore...In fact I do not even really clean the gun until the end of the season so I am working on your "field clean" thought.

Prior to the hunting season and after the gun has been sighted in I will slip out and shoot 3 to five shots... field clean the bore with windex patches and then run a very light coat of oil back down the bore... wipe that out with a dry patch and the gun remains in that condition to till the end of hunting season when it gets strip cleaned. Even if I were to shoot an animal during the middle of the season the field cleaning process is repeated. So in reality I am shooting a slightly oil but fouled bore.

I should mention that I do shoot T7 - I am not sure this routine would work with true BP or even the Pyros they are so much more corrosive....

Old 08-28-2008, 06:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don't even own a sabot shooter. But, I know that T/C does not recommend using any lubricants (oil or bore butter) in the bore prior to shooting. Storage is another matter. From what I've read, T/C recommends loading a dry clean barrel.

My muzzleloader is a Renegade, and it shoots nearly the same on a dry clean bore (the bullet is lubed when loaded) as it does on subsequent shots. If I shoot a few shots, I'll run some patches saturated with a 50/50 mix of windex and rubbing alcohol. Then several dry patches and a couple caps popped prior to shooting again.
Old 08-28-2008, 01:27 PM

3 shots at 100 today did not go as good as i had hoped for.

First shot was perfect, left corner of the bulls eye, next shot hit 2" to the right and #3 was way the heck off and hit 3" below shot #2.

I only have 2 405's left so i cleaned the rifle and am going to try the winchester 777 primers with the pyrodex p and see how that goes.

Corey, i may have you call that store and see if he has any 405 aerotips in stock as all the stores here are out!