Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Triumph vs Omega?

Old 08-21-2008, 11:32 AM
Fork Horn

Default Triumph vs Omega?

When looking into getting a new musket, what is the big differences between these two guns? I know that the triumph has the weather sheild barrel, but am not real sure what that means. Why wouldn't TC put a stainless barrel on this gun? any other comments on either would be appreciated.

Old 08-21-2008, 11:44 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Triumph vs Omega?

ORIGINAL: triggertrav

When looking into getting a new musket, what is the big differences between these two guns? I know that the triumph has the weather sheild barrel, but am not real sure what that means. Why wouldn't TC put a stainless barrel on this gun? any other comments on either would be appreciated.
These two rifles are top sellers for Thompson Center. In fact they did away with the old model the Black Diamond XR because it could not compete in sales. The Omega is a standard that many other companies modeled rifles after. CVA & Traditions both offer models very similar to the Omega. Why? because it is that great of a rifle. But Thompson Center wanted to make it better. Some complaints about the Omega is the small trigger guard. Anyone hunting in cold weather with gloves on knows what that means. So the Triumph has a more generous trigger area for the gloved shooters. Also the Triumph went with the speed breech plug. The Omega does not have the speed breech. Both are going to shoot real good. The Weather shield is to help those that hunt in rain and snow and can not get to the rifle quickly to wipe them down at the end of the day. Both are going to work if you carry a cloth and some gun oil. Stainless barrels are great barrels. They shoot great, and are easy to see fowling in. Also they are more prone not to rust quickly. They are STAIN LESS. But they will still stain and rust if not cared for...

Personally with all I have read and heard on the two, I would be after the Triumph. Although the Omega fits me better and I like the stock more. I am sure I could get used to the Triumph. I still shoot a Black Diamond XR....
Old 08-22-2008, 06:23 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the info.
Old 08-22-2008, 06:56 AM
Fork Horn

I had my selection narrowed down to these two firearms as well. The Weathershield barrel looked nice, but was not my deciding factor. I do hunt in some inclimate weather, but take care of my guns after the hunt is finished. The break open action and speed breech of the Triumph was the main selling factors. When it came down to it, I went down to the sports shop and shouldered each gun. The thin forend of the Triumph pulled the gun right into position, the “hair” trigger felt like my Weatherby rifle and the Triumph was lighter then the Omega.
Old 08-22-2008, 09:54 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have both, they shoot about equally well [both have some loads with BH209 that group under an inch when the operator is shooting well] the big differance between them to me is the easy capping and the speed breach. The speed breach is as good as advertised there is NO blow back on mine and you can take it out with two finger which makes complete cleaning in the field a joy instead of a pain. Mine averages slightly higher velocity and I believe has a smaller standard deveation in speed. Hope this helps. Lee