Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Triumph vs Omega vs Kodiak Pro >

Triumph vs Omega vs Kodiak Pro

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Triumph vs Omega vs Kodiak Pro

Old 06-14-2008, 08:10 AM
Fork Horn

Default Triumph vs Omega vs Kodiak Pro

To make a long story short, I am in the market for a new muzzleloaderdue to a burglary. The burglary took all 5 of my guns (muzzleloader, 2 glocks and a special pupose Remington 11-87) and ammunition. I owned the CVA Kodiak.50 Cal Mag and was happy with the preformance.Icurrently have the choice down to the following three: TC Omega, TC Triumph and theCVA Kodiak Pro. I was hoping people could give me their opinions on these three guns. Also, it appears the TC guns recommend the Sabots, but I have always liked the Powerbelts. Anybody have any experience with the TC guns and Powerbelts? I realize I will have to work up some loads in the final gun to see what it likes, but any help would be appreciated to shorten the learning curve.

I have learned a great deal about muzzleloading and enjoyed it more because of the help on this forum.Therefore, I was looking to see what experience everybody has had and what you would recommend.

Thanks!
Old 06-14-2008, 08:17 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Market for a new gun

Also, on new guns, does everyone here recommend the 1 shot and clean theory for the first 10- 15 rounds? I have always done this on my guns, but was wondering if it is just a theory with no evidence.

Thanks,

Old 06-14-2008, 08:47 AM

If you are going to shoot Powerbelts I would stick with the CVA or get a Knight TCare Great guns but with the QLA they don't seem to like Conical Bullets I would also look at the NEW CVA ACCURA Looks like a nice rifle also.

Ron
Old 06-14-2008, 09:23 AM
Dominant Buck

A lot would depend on that hunting situation you face. If it is long range shooting then you would want a sabot rifle. Or a real good conical rifle like a White. Sabots are a good choice for long range and T/C and Knight make great sabot shooting rifles.

Also since this is a new collection your starting because some dirty dog (I am being kind in my words here) decided to help himself to your old collection, you might want a gun to do it all for you and not need another rifle. For that the Omega or the Triumph would be my choice. Great customer service, great dependability, and their track record is excellent. Don't go cheap on the new gun. Get a top of the line. It is all you would ever need. The put a good scope on it. You should be all set for all seasons.

Get to a store and shoulder them. I shouldered the Triumph and could not get low on the stock for open sight shooting comfortably. Although I played with a Pro Hunter and about walked out of the store with it...
Old 06-14-2008, 09:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Triumph vs Omega vs Kodiak Pro

My suggestion would be to get to a store where you can handle all three of them. I personally buy my guns largely on the basis of feel. I like the feel and functionality of the Triumph the best of the three you mentioned. If you're going to shoot powerbelts or other conicals, then as suggested you might want to lean towards CVA-although a couple of guys on here don't have problems shooting conicals in their TC's. I guess it's hit or miss-no pun intended.

You asked about the cleaning, I highly recommend the new powder that has come out Blackhorn 209. If you shoot it, cleaning between shots in not needed. Any other of the substitue powders yes, I would recommend you swab between shots to get the best accuracy you can. But w/Blackhorn I can shoot all day and still get as good of groups when I leave as when I got there.

Cayugad made a very good point though. If you're set on shooting conicals buy a White. I've never heard of a White that won't shoot them very well.

Good luck on your new purchase!
Old 06-14-2008, 10:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Indiana SmokePole

If you are going to shoot Powerbelts I would stick with the CVA or get a Knight TCare Great guns but with the QLA they don't seem to like Conical Bullets I would also look at the NEW CVA ACCURA Looks like a nice rifle also.

Ron
I agree.... my Omega loves the 250gr shockwaves, but does not group consistantly with Powerbelts.
Old 06-14-2008, 11:59 AM
Boone & Crockett

Hey Kathwacckkk, sorry about the loss. With respect to a break-in procedure of fully cleaning the barrel between shots for the first ten (or more) shots, I fully believe in it anddo it withevery new gun I buy.

For cartridge guns, I follow the three step procedure recommended by Precision Shooting Magazine. http://savagearms.com/cs_barrel.htm For muzzle loaders, I use Hornady Great Plains bullets and modify the cleaning procedure to one suited for muzzle loaders (clean completely with soap and water - dry with alcohol).

Old 06-14-2008, 04:17 PM

If you want a rifle that will shoot an wide assortment of projectiles, CVA is a great way to go. A member on my forum just ordered the CVA Accura "New model" from midsouthshooters for $288 in blue/black. We're all waiting to see how it does for him. www.cva.com to check the new Accura out.
Old 06-14-2008, 05:53 PM
Typical Buck

Don"t leave out the Encore great rifle with option of centerfire crtg
Old 06-14-2008, 06:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Triumph vs Omega vs Kodiak Pro

ORIGINAL: Kathwacckkk

To make a long story short, I am in the market for a new muzzleloaderdue to a burglary. The burglary took all 5 of my guns (muzzleloader, 2 glocks and a special pupose Remington 11-87) and ammunition. I owned the CVA Kodiak.50 Cal Mag and was happy with the preformance.Icurrently have the choice down to the following three: TC Omega, TC Triumph and theCVA Kodiak Pro. I was hoping people could give me their opinions on these three guns. Also, it appears the TC guns recommend the Sabots, but I have always liked the Powerbelts. Anybody have any experience with the TC guns and Powerbelts? I realize I will have to work up some loads in the final gun to see what it likes, but any help would be appreciated to shorten the learning curve.

I have learned a great deal about muzzleloading and enjoyed it more because of the help on this forum.Therefore, I was looking to see what experience everybody has had and what you would recommend.

Thanks!
My recommendation is to buy the TC Triumph, cause it is easy to clean, accurate and shoots excellent.I have an Omega, but I would buy the Triumph today, they didn't haveit when I bought my Omega, basically it is an "upgraded Omega", speed breech, etc, you know the deal. I also recommend you to not shoot the PBs, and shoot either Barnes MZ, TMZ, Nosler Partitions or Speer Gold Dots. You don't need a tough bullet on "bow shots", but raking shots or shots not well placed you need to shoot thru bone and not fragement. PB will only shoot "low power" (<1400 fps), so they don't fragment. My personal experience with PB is terrible and so I can't recommend them, many have other experiences, butdo a search on "Powerbeltfragments" and you will see what I mean. Now do aGoogle search on "Barnes fragments" or "Nosler Partition Fragments" and see what ya find. Fragmentation leads to non-penetration and non-penetration leads to non-lethal hit.
Chap

Quick Reply: Triumph vs Omega vs Kodiak Pro

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.