Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Black Powder Steel Shot >

Black Powder Steel Shot

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Black Powder Steel Shot

Old 08-20-2008, 10:18 PM

Default Black Powder Steel Shot

Howdy, I just picked up a Knight KT2000 and was thinking it might be fun to whack some ducks with it, but haven't found any info on steel shot loads. Anyone have any experience with this? Thanks, Steve
Old 08-20-2008, 10:25 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Black Powder Steel Shot

I have the same shotgun. I am not sure if you can shoot steel shot. I'd give Knight a call.
Old 08-20-2008, 11:17 PM
Typical Buck

I can't think of a reason you couldn't shoot steel in it. Use a choke tube that is ok for steel and a good shot cup like the 3.5" MultiMetal from Balistic Products to keep the shot away from the barrel. Wouldn't be too much different from working up a turkey load would it? You may want a little more spread to your pattens than you would with a turkey load but the choke size could adjust that?

I copied this from Doc Whites web page about the Tominator shotgun, I'm sure the knight would or could use the same loads.

"Super goose load
Use 120 gr. Ffg Black Powder or Pyrodex equivalent, followed by two White lubricated wool wads, then a White PowerCup with three or four leaves cut ½ inch deep, followed by 13/4 oz. iron/tungsten, 1 ½ oz, bismuth or 13/8 oz. steel shot, (just fill the PowerCup full) then topped by a woven wool top-wad. Use the full choke-tube marked for steel if you use steel shot. This load kicks like a mule but will kill geese at 50 yards if you can get the lead right and tolerate the recoil."

The MultiMetal cups are very long, long enough you can fit the whole shot charge into the cup so the shot will never touch the inside of the barrel.
Old 08-21-2008, 08:19 AM
Dominant Buck

The kicks like a mule is a very accurate description, goatbrother.. Even 100 grains and a turkey load will get your attention real fast when you touch the trigger. But with my turkey load I was shooting an olive can at 50 yards and putting seven pellets in it... so that's not too bad. At 40 yards, it is a done deal.
Old 08-21-2008, 10:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have heard that the Blackpowder shotguns are serious turkey medicine.
I may have to look into a bbl for my Encore