Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Some info please

Old 08-21-2008, 12:26 PM
Fork Horn

Default Some info please

I have used the Firebolt ultra mag for years. I love this gun and never thought i would ever put it down. But the time has come for a change. My firebolt has the camo stock and nickel barrel. Over the years my barrel has gotten some black blotches on it that just will not clean off. It's not bad and hardly noticable, but i do notice. Is this common? My next question is which is Better, Stainless steal or Nickel? Sorry for the newbish questions.
My new muzzle loader is going to be the CVA Kodiak pro mag with laminated thumbhole stock. Have been wanting 1 for a few years now but just did not want to quit useing my Firebolt.
Old 08-21-2008, 12:32 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Some info please

I believe stainless is better as far as corrosion resistance. Nickel is just a plating. That being said any barrel, including plain old blued barrels, will be fine with proper maintenance.

I can't comment on the black blotches on your nickel finish, but the kodiak is a nice gun. I looked at one last summer when I started shooting ML'ers, but went a different route. Then I got into sidelocks, but that is a different story.

Good luck with the Kodiak.
Old 08-21-2008, 12:36 PM
Boone & Crockett

DW - There is a product for Eagle called Never Dull that you can pick up at Walmart that is great for cleaning nickle guns. I've used it for years to clean/shine my nickle palted revolvers, brass and lots of other metal items.
It is about the only thing that cleans that black residue off the face of the revolver cylinders. And it isn't abrasive. Itis a fiberous material like some sort of packing with something that smells like kerosene.
All I know is that it works and last forever it seems.
As for finish, between nickle and stainless, I prefer stainless. And matte stainless. But even better, I prefer a blued finish.
Old 08-21-2008, 12:38 PM
Boone & Crockett

Have been wanting 1 for a few years now but just did not want to quit useing my Firebolt.
Well, you don't have to completely abandon the old gal you know. Two guns are better than one, three are better than two, etc.,etc. (and then there's Cayugad).
Old 08-21-2008, 12:43 PM

stainless steel! No more needs to be said!
Old 08-21-2008, 01:06 PM
Dominant Buck

That black stain is from a combination of solvents and powder residue. My nickel finish CVA Staghorn has the same stain in the breech. It does not hurt the integrity of the rifle. It just makes then look bad. There is nothing wrong with your Firebolt rifle. If it served you well for several years, my guess is it will continue to do so. Although there is nothing wrong with another rifle. And if you want one, then you should have one.

Nickel is nothing more then a blued barrel with a finish. Stainless is just that, stainless. They are a nice barrel. I own a couple of them as well and really like them. Stainless will stain, just less. It will also rust if you abuse it and do not clean it. They are a nice barrel though.
Old 08-21-2008, 01:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

How does it shoot???

That's all that really matters...

I used to date a gal that was pretty "homely"....But she had "other" assest and talents that made it worth it....
Old 08-21-2008, 01:48 PM

ORIGINAL: nchawkeye

How does it shoot???

That's all that really matters...

I used to date a gal that was pretty "homely"....But she had "other" assest and talents that made it worth it....
She probably says the same thing about you...

Old 08-21-2008, 02:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

I just ordered a Kodiak pro camo / SS
I contacted CVA about the Lami T hole stocks and they said none were available
If you find one let me know
Old 08-21-2008, 08:02 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: bronko22000

DW - There is a product for Eagle called Never Dull that you can pick up at Walmart that is great for cleaning nickle guns. I've used it for years to clean/shine my nickle palted revolvers, brass and lots of other metal items.
It is about the only thing that cleans that black residue off the face of the revolver cylinders. And it isn't abrasive. Itis a fiberous material like some sort of packing with something that smells like kerosene.
All I know is that it works and last forever it seems.
As for finish, between nickle and stainless, I prefer stainless. And matte stainless. But even better, I prefer a blued finish.
Thanks for the info. I will check it out next time i am at wal-mart.

Quick Reply: Some info please

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.