HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Black Powder Steel Shot
View Single Post
Old 08-20-2008, 11:17 PM
goatbrother
Typical Buck

Default RE: Black Powder Steel Shot

I can't think of a reason you couldn't shoot steel in it. Use a choke tube that is ok for steel and a good shot cup like the 3.5" MultiMetal from Balistic Products to keep the shot away from the barrel. Wouldn't be too much different from working up a turkey load would it? You may want a little more spread to your pattens than you would with a turkey load but the choke size could adjust that?

I copied this from Doc Whites web page about the Tominator shotgun, I'm sure the knight would or could use the same loads.

"Super goose load
Use 120 gr. Ffg Black Powder or Pyrodex equivalent, followed by two White lubricated wool wads, then a White PowerCup with three or four leaves cut ½ inch deep, followed by 13/4 oz. iron/tungsten, 1 ½ oz, bismuth or 13/8 oz. steel shot, (just fill the PowerCup full) then topped by a woven wool top-wad. Use the full choke-tube marked for steel if you use steel shot. This load kicks like a mule but will kill geese at 50 yards if you can get the lead right and tolerate the recoil."

The MultiMetal cups are very long, long enough you can fit the whole shot charge into the cup so the shot will never touch the inside of the barrel.