Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 check list for a long range session >

check list for a long range session

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

check list for a long range session

Old 07-29-2008, 01:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default check list for a long range session

getting everything ready for 50+ shot range session. this is the most I have done. all conicals, 2 rifles, and some round balls. take both my knight and my new englander. made up all my charges. going to take my bags instead of my mtm rest. much more stable. checked to see how many targets I have. got get some. just get some card board. made sure I had all the clean stuff I need. missing my nipple wrinch. gotta pick one of those up on the way. all the bullets I need. bringing my screw driver set just in case I need to strip the a rifle in the feild and for sight adjustments on my new englander. checked my range rod, need to change the jig from the 45 to the 50.
Make note to remind me to not make mistakes, if I do, just not post them.

all is need is to but the stuff in my truck. need to add air to the tires.

what do yall do to get ready for a range session?

Old 07-29-2008, 08:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: check list for a long range session

More or less what your doing. I have a tool box of sorts that has most of my BP tools and parts (extra nipples and breach plugs, etc.) in it that goes on every range session. I also have a dry box that I keep my powder in along with the funnel tops that fit onto the powder bottles, I also keep my bulk bag of cleaning patches in there to take up any extra space. I have 3 different bullet bags, 1 50cal with PRB stuff, 1 50cal with conicals and sabots, and 1 54cal with everything for that. I have most of my regular cleaning stuff on the bench in my shop so I have to grab the range rods, Rusty Duck, alcoholand Ballistol off the bench. I also have a box with cleaning stuff that is used less often that has an extra can of Sheath and some other things in it that goes with me. I also have a CO2 gizmo to unload the gun if needed. That just leaves guns and targets and rests to throw in the truck along with what ever bullet bag I need.

Almost forgot, I am in the process of setting up acase for my chonograph so it's not just sitting init's box in the truck. I also take a tripod for the chrony and some hearing protection (I'm half deaf already so I can't afford to lose the rest of it). That just about covers it.
Old 07-29-2008, 10:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

One thing you quickly discover when you shoot b/p is that you have to haul around a lot of stuff. To help with that, Imove my range stuff around in a rolling tool chest. It makes life a lot easier.

It sounds like you have just about everything covered. Don't forget to bring some snacks or a sandwich with you. Few things sour a range session faster than an empty stomach.

Have fun shooting.
~Robert
Old 07-29-2008, 11:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Amen!
Old 07-29-2008, 11:27 AM
Dominant Buck

When I used to have to travel to the range, I always made sure thatI took all the tools necessary to break the gun down and take it apart and put it back together again. Be sure to take plenty of patches, a knife, screw driver, and plenty of swab. I also take bug juice with me, ear protection, and a magic marker to make notes on the target.
Old 07-29-2008, 12:01 PM

Dave,

Is this bug juice you mention,something to drink or to keep
the bugs away...////////
Old 07-29-2008, 12:13 PM
Dominant Buck

Well I do take a can of soda also, but without bug juice, you do not make it in the woods of Northern Wisconsin this time of year. Them biting bugs will eat you alive out there..
Old 07-29-2008, 01:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Pepsi and potato chips. Tom.
Old 07-29-2008, 02:10 PM

ORIGINAL: HEAD0001

Pepsi and potato chips. Tom.
Dont you know pepsi supports anit hunting groups?