Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

range session

Old 03-10-2008, 06:53 AM
Fork Horn

Default range session

Yesterday I took the renegade (flintlock), cva missouri rifle (percussion), and traditions yukon to the range. My dad came along,but didn't want to bring his traditions hawken, said something about cold and being old. It was 20 degrees in PA with a wicked cross wind.

I previously shot 80 grains of RS and a prb out of the renegadeand getting like 4-5 inch groups. I switched to goex 2f and a wonder wad and my 5 shot groupsaveraged around2 inches at 50 yards with iron sights. I think I may hold off on the green mtn barrel since I founda load thatshoots good out of that gun. I was getting really frustrated with the renegade before yesterday. I picked up some ball-ets today to try.

The cva missouri rifle was a $35 find at a shop in virginia and I've never shot it. Loaded up with 80 grains goex, wonder wad, and prb and snapped a cap. nothing. snapped another cap. nothing. something had the nipple blocked. I went into the club house at the range, but couldn't fine anything small enough for the nipple. Never did get to shoot it. Tried a nipple pickwhen I got homeand could not unblock it, so i bought two new nipples today and a rugged rod for it.

the yukon took a spike for me this fall, but the shot was high and i wanted to confirm my zero. I fired three shots at 50 yards and it was about 3-4 inches high. Adjusted the scope and brought it down to dead on at 50. Shooting 100 grains of RS and either t/c cheap shots or 240 grain xtps. Averaging right around 2 inch groups with both.

Sorry no pics, the cold weather killed the battery in the camerea during the two hours I was shooting.

Finally free advertising for a sporting goods store. I went to RMC sports in Mingoville, PA today and they had more ML stuff then any place I've ever been and were really helpful. Check out their website www.rmcsports.com
Old 03-10-2008, 08:56 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: range session

Corey how far are you from there I order from them all the time Shipping is killing me.
Old 03-10-2008, 10:19 AM
Dominant Buck

With that CVA rifle you might have to get a ball puller, pull that ball, dump the powder, and find out why that thing is not sending spark through the nipple and snail. Did you run a nipple pick in there and see if you could reach the chamber? When you cleaned the rifle last, I am wondering if there was a lot of rust in it. Sometimes the older ones that are not treated properly will rust up in there. It can take some soaking with a good penetrating oil to clean them out.

Sounds like your renegade shot real well. Sometimes all it takes is a different powder and those wads can really make a difference. Good luck shooting again..
Old 03-10-2008, 11:41 AM

With a Flinter, nothing but real blackpowder should ever be used. The subs just dont get it done.

With your caplock, remember to hold it cocked to the side when pouring the powder and then smack it a couple times on the side of the barrel to help shift some powder into the drum "What the nipple screws into"

I only use the stainless steel Spitfire with Hollow base Nipples from Cabelas, I feel they offer better flame to powder.

2" groups @ 50 isnt bad, it will only get better with practice. Also remember to not over prime. Start off with as little prime that you can and slowly work your way up until you find the charge that goes boom instantly.
Old 03-10-2008, 02:55 PM
Fork Horn

johnmorris-when I go to my inlaws house I am only ten minutes away, but I live in Virginia, so closer to 5 hours.

cayugad-I pulled the ball and dumped the powder and with the nipple unscrewed it is clear through the drum to breech. the nipple was obstructed, maybe a piece of a cap or rust, but whatever it was I could not clear it. I got two new ones today, accidently got musket cap nipples, oh well I'll give them a shot. I'm going to try to drill out the #11 nipple and see if that works, if not they are cheap.

FG-i used to only prime that renegade a half pan, but wasn't getting consistent ignition. That thing seems to enjoy a full pan of 4f goex.

Thanks for all of the advice everyone.
Old 03-10-2008, 04:26 PM

full pan of prime with real blackpowder or with the subs?
Old 03-12-2008, 07:36 AM
Fork Horn

well it was with pyro RS and I did not try anything different with the goex, just primed as I normally did. That will be something to experiment with on the next range session.

also the 2 nipples i picked up were for musket caps, so I bought a tin of musket caps, plus two more #11 nipples. because the drill bit broke off in the obstructed nipple. so I will get to do some experimenting with the missouri rifle as well.