It's .50 caliber, 1 in 28 inch twist, 24 inch barrels, 209 ignition, takes 150 grains, fiber optic sights, projectile..." />

Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Traditions OU Express Double Rifle >

Traditions OU Express Double Rifle

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Traditions OU Express Double Rifle

Old 07-15-2008, 08:29 PM
Typical Buck

Default Traditions OU Express Double Rifle

Look what's in the Traditions Bargain Bin for $799!
It's .50 caliber, 1 in 28 inch twist, 24 inch barrels, 209 ignition, takes 150 grains, fiber optic sights, projectile alignment system, tang safety,weighs12.5 lbs.
It's alsoavailable with a two tone receiveror a camo model, eachfor$899.
Notice that it has double triggers and that the ramrod is secured along the right side between the barrels.
The Pedersoli Kodiak double rifles have been immensely popular for years, but that model is a side by side and barrel regulation was often an issue.
Just like with shotguns, the over/underconfiguration may helpto minimize that problem.
At least Traditions has affordablymodernized the concept of a double rifle.
I'm not sure how many states would allow a double barrel during muzzle loading season though. My home state of CT appears to define a muzzle loader for deer hunting as being capable of loading only a single projectile.

Here's the spec. sheet, the bargain bin link is at the top right of the each page:

http://www.traditionsfirearms.com/eshop/10Expand.asp?ProductCode=REX-100
Old 07-15-2008, 08:41 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Traditions OU Express Double Rifle

Funny thing about guns - you like what you like and don't like what you don't like.

That particular gun would be pretty close to the top ofmy don't like list. Now, I have an H&A underhammer that I love, and my brother-in-law calls it "the ugliest gun ever made". In cartridge rifles, I'm a single shot and lever action kind of guy. He's a semi-auto and bolt action man. I love semi-auto pistols - he's a wheel gun guy. Go figure.
Old 07-15-2008, 09:04 PM
Typical Buck

Traditionally, an express double rifle is the preferredweapon choicefor hunting dangerous game.
In Africa, professional licensedhunters/guides need toback up their clients when they chase dangerous orwounded game into the bush to back them up in case of attack.Onenever knows if the animal is down & outor not.
So it's a logical choice forthat and other reasons.
I suppose if a personwere togo on aonce in a lifetime big game hunt of some kind thatmightcost thousands of dollars, then they might want to have a gun capable of a quick follow up shot so they could bring homethe bacon rather than coming back empty handed. Some large animals might require more than 1 shot to anchor it, and I'm thinking about big bears and the like. It doesn't really matter how good of a shot a person is either, it just happens to be necessary sometimes.
If someone lived in Alaskaorwayout in the bushwheresome ammosaren'treadily available,then an expressMLcould be really useful.
Old 07-16-2008, 05:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: arcticap

Look what's in the Traditions Bargain Bin for $799!
It's .50 caliber, 1 in 28 inch twist, 24 inch barrels, 209 ignition, takes 150 grains, fiber optic sights, projectile alignment system, tang safety,weighs12.5 lbs.
It's alsoavailable with a two tone receiveror a camo model, eachfor$899.
Notice that it has double triggers and that the ramrod is secured along the right side between the barrels.
The Pedersoli Kodiak double rifles have been immensely popular for years, but that model is a side by side and barrel regulation was often an issue.
Just like with shotguns, the over/underconfiguration may helpto minimize that problem.
At least Traditions has affordablymodernized the concept of a double rifle.
I'm not sure how many states would allow a double barrel during muzzle loading season though. My home state of CT appears to define a muzzle loader for deer hunting as being capable of loading only a single projectile.

Here's the spec. sheet, the bargain bin link is at the top right of the each page:

http://www.traditionsfirearms.com/eshop/10Expand.asp?ProductCode=REX-100
I saw that the other day, and I could not believe they made a double rifle in a MLer. Sort of defeats the purpose of a MLer in my mind--i.e. 1 shot kills, get close, get a very accurate load and bullet. I think they are very over priced, even at the bargin price. If ya go to Africa your PH has the double rifle with 2 solids in it, or a Craig Boddington shoots 1 solid and 1 expanding, so I don't actually see a market for the rifle. I don't think I would take it if it was given to me, that is just me though.
Chap Gleason
Old 07-16-2008, 07:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

I sure hope its better than the PRB one made back in late 80's I bought one of those; triggers were awful the locks were junk the barrels did not shoot anywhere near the same place, ended up as a crowbar cause I would not lie about it to sell it. Lee
Old 07-16-2008, 08:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

I saw a review of one of those in a hunting magazine awhile back. From what I remember, they reported it was very heavy, had heavy triggers and was kind of awkward. However, I think it shot pretty well - like 2.5" groups at 100 yards. I think it's primarily designed for hunting big or dangerous game where a second shot is often welcome.
Old 07-16-2008, 09:03 AM
Dominant Buck

TRADITIONS EXPRESS DOUBLE 84FS RIFLE
TYPE - inline O/U muzzleloader
CALIBER - 50
CAPICITY - 2
BARREL LENGTH - 24"
OVER ALL LENGTH - 41.5"
WEIGHT - 12.5 POUNDS
FINISH - nickel, matte blue, high gloss
STOCKS - walnut, synthetic
SIGHTS - Williams ramp, fiber optics
MSRP - $1599-$1749
IMPORTER - Traditions Firearms

Group size at 100 yards - 1-3/4 to 1-5/8 both barrels respectively. Load was 100 grains of Triple Se7en pellets and a 250 grain Traditions projectile. He also states the triggers are heavy, but break clean and crisp. This information was taken from the August issue of Guns & Ammo (which is a great magazine if you like handguns) where they have a featured article on the rifle. A person takes it on a deer hunt.

These are just my thoughts on the whole idea of an express muzzleloader. In all the years I have hunted, I never needed a second shot. Just lucky I guess. Or maybe because I am so insistent on the kind of shot I take. I will let an animal walk before I take a shot that I am sure is not high percentage of a clean take down. Would the quick second shot be nice... sure. Especially when hunting dangerous game like bear, moose,or bunny rabbits (they are hard to hit). Of course some states would not allow the rifle, mine included I believe.

12.5 pounds of weight. That is a long day in the woods people. When I was a young buck I hunted for years with a Savage 12 gauge double barrel shotgun. Killed a lot of birds with that gun (still have it in a gun rack somewhere). And developed lots of arm muscles hauling that thing around. I also have a Browning Light Twelve semi auto 5. Believe me, nothing light about that shotgun. Killed a lot of birds with it though. I finally went to a Winchester 1300 pump 20 gauge. Still kill a lot of birds but it is better to carry. Now it is single shot black powder shotguns.. What's next, a sling shot? Haul that express rifle all day over mountains, hills, even flat ground, and it will be heavy. Now throw a scope on there as well. Whats a good scope weigh?

Now in all fairness, the writer claims the extra weight can be nice when a stout load is fired. 100 grains is a good load. If it is stout, then I guess extra weigh is an answer. Not for me mind you, but it would help with recoil.

The only advantage of this rifle I see is a fast follow up shot. Accuracy wise it sounds good. But then all these magazines claim great accuracy since they sell add space. Its when you get them to your home that you learn the rest of the story. I personally never saw an express rifle shoot to the same POI with the two barrels. Close mind you, but not the same. This writer claims there is an adjustment screw on the bottom barrel that you can adjust and it will aligning the bottom and top to the same POI.

The last kicker is the price. Now granted they were found on sale. But Traditions feel that $1500 is a fair price. Maybe it is. After all you're getting a second shot you might not need, and a lot of extra metal to carry around all day. Sorry people.. not for me. But to each their own.
Old 07-16-2008, 02:27 PM
Typical Buck

I wouldn't buy one either because I don't have a use for it.
But some guys hunt the wide open ranges out westor "up north"using their trucks,ATV's and horses.
Or if they're hunting out of a well establish stand, the chances are that they're not doing much walking while hunting.
Say a person is hunting on the open grasslandplains, orfrom a "horseback"elk camp,or up north for barren ground Caribou.Even ifthe perfect shot is taken, the animalmay stillbe on it's feetand the hunter doesn't know if it's hit or not becauseof the smoke.Soa quickfollow up shot is taken to not risk a miss ora longer track and recovery.
Awild boar hunter might like something like this too due toit's toughnessand the difficulty intracking them.
Cabela's sells the Pedersoli Kodiak and since they've been aroundalmost forever, they've sold many thousands of them. So someone's been buying them.
Ardesa/Traditions isonly trying to cut in onthe alreadysuccessful Pedersoli market with an improved rifle.
Ardesadoes make some expensive, high quality targetguns that are sold only in Europe.
Successfulcompanies usuallymodernize and invest inproducing better quality productsfor specific markets.Buyers for thisexpress rifle willbe far and few between.You knowthat the reason for thehigh price and theprice reductionis, justlike with everything else, due to the weak dollar.
The gun buyingpublic generally doesn't like anything that's too cheap or too expensive.
But it sure is fun thinking aboutallof the vastlydifferent types of muzzle loaders that are available and theirpractical uses.
Old 12-07-2017, 03:06 AM
Spike

I’m looking for this gun. Any chance anyone wants to sell one
Old 12-07-2017, 06:10 AM
Giant Nontypical

Doubtful considering this is a 9yr old thread.