Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

REAL bullets

Old 07-06-2008, 07:58 PM
Fork Horn

Default REAL bullets

Got me a double mold from Lee. One side .490 ball / other side 320 gr REAL. After a few tries I got the temp. right and they started coming out pretty good. Since the store bought conicals that I have tried were pre-lubricated I am assuming the REALs also require some sort of lube. Or do they? Nowhere in the instructions that came with the mold does it mention anything about lube. So to lube or not to lube, that is the question. And if lube is yes then with what? Any help here would be appreciated.
Gerard
Old 07-06-2008, 08:03 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: REAL bullets

Yes you have to lube them. Bore Butter works good, or a mix of Castor oil and bees wax will also work. Lots of homemade lubes out there. Also with the REAL put a fiber wad under them and don't push them too hard. I think you will like the accuracy.
Old 07-07-2008, 04:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Here's a solid lube recipe from the archives (Cayugad's recipe)

2 ounces of Bees Wax
8 ounces of Castor Oil
1 ounce Murphy’s Oil Soap

Using a double boiler system, melt the bees wax. While keeping the wax liquid, heat the Castor oil with the double boiler also. Then mix the two together. Stir them together and while doing this a scum will form. You need to scrap the scum off the liquid. Once the scum is scraped off the mix, then add the Murphy’s Oil Soap and stir fast while it is melted. This will make a nice frothy appearance and very smooth. Pour the mix into containers and it will set up in a couple hours.

This mix will not break down in heat and is still usable in cold weather. It makes a great conical lube.

I've been using it on the 320 grain REAL bullets and haven't had a reason to try anything else.

Old 07-07-2008, 01:38 PM

Bear fat is what you want or some buffalo grease...I used to use plain old
Crisco,the no salt brand..It always works for me..I think it is better than the bore butter..
I tried the bore butter on hot days and it melts down fast and has NO value to it then..
If you are going to lube a bunch up then mix some bees wax with it..Maybe about a 50 to 50
mix....My favorite foe my cartridge rifle is a 50 to 50 mix of bees wax and olive oil..
If you want it stiffer then just add a touch more of the wax...

Another thing lots of guys are using is a mix of murphys oil soap,olive oil and soy wax..

I have never tried it with the soy wax but with bees wax..It smells good with the murphys
oil soap.....Good luck in your adventure...Share your findings with us..Johnny
Old 07-09-2008, 06:35 PM
Fork Horn

Mcawful,
It looks like a recipe for something like "Granma's lye soap"I have a box full of that stuff that I inherited from my mom when we cleaned out her house. I wonder... It's wonderful stuff for cleaning the barrel after a shooting session.
Gerard
Old 07-09-2008, 08:20 PM
Dominant Buck

That solid lube is from a fellow named Stumpkiller on a different forum. He described how to make it, and I made it. It works really good. You can make it as stiff or as mellow as you like with the amount of bees wax.