Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 My 1st BP Revolver >

My 1st BP Revolver

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

My 1st BP Revolver

Old 07-05-2008, 06:49 PM
Typical Buck

Default My 1st BP Revolver

I bought a BP rifle from a friend the other day, sort of as a favor for his father. After paying him, he opened up a pistol case to show me this BP revolver and asked me to make him an offer for it. I wasn't sure that I even wanted it when he stated a price that I couldn't refuse.
So now I'm the owner of an Armi San Marco .44 Sheriff's model[5 inch] that only had about 50 rounds shot through it. It shows a date code of 1992 and he even pre-loaded it with 28 grains of black powder in each cylinder. He polished up the brass really nice and it doesn't appear tohave beenabused.
It has a light triggerwhich might be a sign of not being properly hardened, butit seems to be okay for now anyway. Otherwise the action seems smooth & tight, and it has nice grips.
What else should I have done,just let it be returned back into the case like an unwanted orphan?

Old 07-05-2008, 07:04 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: My 1st BP Revolver

I had me one of them many years ago.. be sure and grease the ends of the cylinders before you shoot that. That will stop the chain fires.. Which is what destroyed my Navy revolver. I had a chain fire and it ended up stretching the frame. Not to mention getting my attention real fast.

Mine was a good shooter, but because there was no top strap I never went above 25 grains of powder.

In my current Army model with the steel top strap I load 30 grains of APP 3f, then a .44 caliber wad, then a .451 ball and finally before I shoot, I cover the ends of they cylinders with some home made lube.

Using the APP powder makes the revolvers a lot easier to clean and you don't have to break them down on the range and clean them if your like me and spend an afternoon shooting and loading. Also the optional cylinder loader works real good for loading them easier..

That's a nice looking revolver and a good brand too.. Have fun shooting it.