Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Omega is here!!

Old 07-01-2008, 08:27 PM

Default Omega is here!!

Its here!

But sadly,I did not get a chance to pick it up I went shopping for conicals and will have to pick the rifle up in the AM.

The only place i could find powerbelts at was The mountain man, in manitou springs and they were over priced by as much as $6.

I already have some 295's coming in the mail so i went and bought 2 boxes of 370 grain maxiballs to sight in with and hopefully get some good accuracy out of the TC with them.

Have plenty of powder, A lot of primers "Thanks saxman"!! The rifle also is coming with the original open sights which i am very thankful for!

So tonight will pretty much be a toss and turning night and very little sleep.
Old 07-01-2008, 08:41 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Omega is here!!

Well I am sure when you get your hands on it you will find something that will shoot just fine out of it... People do claim they shoot powerbelts well. I am sure you will figure out the powerbelt angle in them. That would then make a nice hunting rifle for you.
Old 07-02-2008, 02:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

I can't wait to see what you do with the Omega. No I am not going to buy it.
Old 07-02-2008, 05:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: cayugad
you will find something that will shoot just fine out of it...
FG, The Omega like the TC Triumph was designed for sabots. Here are some good shooters in my Omega:

300g Nosler Partition HG (Hand Gun)
300g Speer Gold Dot
300g TC ShockWave 300g

Here is Nosler Partition: http://www.the-gleasons.com/noslerpartition300g.htm

Here is SW: http://www.the-gleasons.com/tcshockwave300g.htm

And here is Speer Gold Dot.
Take your pick.Shot with a Crushed Rib sabot, the SW was with supplied sabot.
Best Wishes with this beauty (I love that stock and the SS barrel),
Chap
PS PB shot well in it also, but you know my stand on that subject, so I am not gonna start.

Old 07-02-2008, 05:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: corey012778

I can't wait to see what you do with the Omega. No I am not going to buy it.
Yes you will, you get 3 guns (sell the Am Knight and the CVA). Geta TC renegade sidelock (I think you have a FL)with a 45, 50 and 54 Green Mountain barrel in 1:70 twist for PRB, another 3 barrels with 1:24 for sabots (about $200/barrel new). An Omega for Rifle season (cause CF shooting is a laydown).
1 other gun. I suggest the Savage, since it is a mini-ballistics lab and you will never run out of bullets, powders and sabots to try with that. Gotta have a 10 year rifle improvement plan friend.
Chap

Old 07-02-2008, 07:30 AM
Giant Nontypical

I shoot just about everything in mine, it does shoot sabots better than anything else, but I also go places where I can not use them[ not every state has as much commen sense in there laws as AR] if you work through your loads it should not be a problem to get PB's and Sabortooth bullets to shoot but you might need more powder than you prefer[ I start out at 90 gr so I really dont know how low you can go and still stay under 2 inches in a wide range of conditions. With a good scope it should not be a problem to find some loads that shoot an inch, with sabots you can give yourself the advantage by using BH209 I have actually gotten so groups down to 1/2 inch when conditions were perfect [thats been rare lately the wind keeps blowing]. You may find TC guns tend to like a bit more powder [ or maybe its me] when you want to use regular conicals put a wad over the powder 25 or 30 gr corn meal by vol an other wad under the bullet, if you find a better way to get them to shoot decant groups with conicals please let me know, also I have always used Pyrodex P to shoot them [if it aint broke dont fix it] Lee
Old 07-02-2008, 09:12 AM
Giant Nontypical

i am goin g to my a triumph next month can not wait i plan to buy the pellet recommend and the sabots recommend by tc aleast for the first year
i will buy a bdc scope and hope to be good out to 200 yards

i went to a local gun shop in the next town the one in my town sucks guy is a dick has old scent and is over priced

the next town over had a good shop
the lady running it was about 75 new more about guns and hunting then all the people at the local gander mountain

but here price for the nikon bdc was 360 cost for the triumph that she would need to order 600

midway and cabelas has them on sell for 439 right now
Old 07-02-2008, 10:27 AM

ok for far its shooting great withthe 370g maxi and 80g pyro P. @ 20 yards with open sights, the first 3 shots were in one hole.

I got the sights centered up and right where they needed to be, but i ran out of adjustment to the right and my sight is bottomed out all of the way. I moved to 58 yards and the bullet skimmed the top of the box, A good 8" high. I will have to have tc send me their updated tru glow sights as these sights do me no good. Probably would still be shooting a few inches high at 100

Doing good so far. The thumb hole is excellent.

After my 3rd shot i did notice the barrel towards the breech plug was getting really tight and i had to bunch up my t shirt and put it over the ramrod to get the bullet down. Must be the breech plug design causing this tight ring of fouling. I used triple 7 209's.

Old 07-02-2008, 11:22 AM
Giant Nontypical

bigtim6656, they will shoot with anything and are more conveinent to use, but you haven't seen anything till you tune it up with BH209. Lee
Old 07-02-2008, 11:36 AM

just sighted the scope in at 20 yards. i found that i did not have to remove the rear sight so thats nice for now. Maybe some QD rings?

Just cleaned the rifle completely. Removing the plug with the scope on is a PITA so i pull the stock. Dont want to scratch it!

Going out to 58 yards in a few hours. Its to darn hot out there right now.

Quick Reply: Omega is here!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.