Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Traditions Pursuit LT; and big conicals? >

Traditions Pursuit LT; and big conicals?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Traditions Pursuit LT; and big conicals?

Old 07-04-2008, 09:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Traditions Pursuit LT; and big conicals?

Hey guys, its been a while since I have been around! Hows everything going?

I have just recently purchased a Traidtions Pursuit LT in-line for this year's deer hunt after the Bobcat's lock messed up, and will not set off caps consistently.

I am current shooting some 300 grain SST's and 250 grain T/C Shockwave Superglides with 100 grains of Goex 2f. The primers are the CCI 209's. I have both dialed in to dead on at 100, though I have not sat down and shot groups, just got it where I needed it then quit, groups will come later.

I have shot the T/C Maxi Ball 320's and 370's in the past with the Bobcat. Thing I don't like about them is the lube melts during the September seasons, and gets stuck in the speed loaders, making it a chore to reload!

Anyway, I am looking at also trying some big conicals that will work well for deer, and don't have the mess of Bore Butter. The rifle has a 1:28" twist.

I am also wondering what people's experiences are with the big conicals are as for drop beyond 100 yards compared to the 250-300 grain Sabot bullets, and other conicals. I want to become proficient to at least 150 yards, maybe more, as this will be a high country hunt above timberline, and every bit will help.

As for powder, don't try to steer me to anything else. I just LOVE Goex. Seems to me to be more consistent than Pydrodex is.

Anyway, thanks for the help and suggestions, and have a good 4th!

Later,

Marcial
Old 07-04-2008, 10:20 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Traditions Pursuit LT; and big conicals?

Order some No Excuses conicals. They come lubed, but the lube holds up great in the heat. Start them with 70 grains of powder and work your load up from there. Stay under 100 grains and you should be fine.

Although check your manual. Some rifle brands do not allow a conical over 400 grains. So always follow your manufacturer's recommendations. Another option is purchase the maxiball unlubed. Then lube them as you need them. Or really save some money and cast your own from a Lyman Maxiball mold.
Old 07-04-2008, 10:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

The Pursuit LT is one of the ML's that I also use. I have been casting minniballs with a lee mold (300 gr.) and they have been working excellent. Using pipe leadfor the bullets. I'm not sure how big of a bullet you are looking for but the minniballthat I'm casting does one heck of a job and casting my own has certainly cut down on my shooting expensives. I shoot with pyrodex (not that I'm trying to change your powder but just so that I can share my load for your info), at 85 gr.Thegun dialed in at 100 yards and is shooting consistant with this combination of bullet and powder load.
Old 07-04-2008, 12:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the info. I just checked the manual, and it only limits the powder. It shows 150 grains MAX, and only Black Powder, Pyrodex, or T7 may be used. I will look up some No Excuses Conicals, though I am having a hard time finding them. I will also pick up some Hornady Great Plains and try them also.

Later,

Marcial
Old 07-04-2008, 12:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

I am taking a look at the new Hornady PRB bullets. They are only in 50 cal, and only 350 grain. http://www.hornady.com/media/2008catalog/Page_0043.pdf

They look good so far and several people have tried them with decent accuracy results.

However, with the tip in place, they are not legal in Colorado due to that making them over 1 inch. I am going to try them as a hollow point or just cut the tip off at the end of the bullet.

I am also going on a timberline buck muzzy hunt. Good luck on yours!
Old 07-04-2008, 01:02 PM

Sounds like fun TX, What part of CO?
Old 07-04-2008, 01:20 PM
Boone & Crockett

charlie brown

They are only sold on line... go here... The only problem with the NE bullets is they only come one size... if they fit you gun great! and they shoot really well. Bullshops on the other hand he can size to fit most any bore.

http://members.aol.com/nebullets/

http://bullshop.gunloads.com/contact.html

Old 07-04-2008, 02:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Southwestern, near Durango

Sabotloader: exactly. I tried some NE in my new KRB and they practically slipped down the barrel. Not sure I would trust them to stay on the powder.
Old 07-11-2008, 02:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks TX and SL for the advice.

I went out last week and shot some more.

I shot some of the T/C's and noticed they are pretty hard to load, as compared the the SST's my dad had.

I also shot some of the Maxi Ball 320's and they did ok.

I have yet to find any Great Plains bullets locally, and do not want to pay the prices for shipping, so will wait until someone gets some in or do without.

In the meantime, I also picked up some 250 SST's and will try them. If they load better than the T/C's, then I should be set, and just decide on either the 250 or 300, and the local store has a much better supply of 250's than 300's.

I do like the look of those FPB's, but have yet to see them locally either.

Have fun on your high country hunt! My dad and my hunt opens on September 10th. I will have 13 days to hunt, and my dad has around 10 I think.

Went out scouting last night, and found a few deer, 5 does, but no bucks. I think it was still too hot to be scouting in the evening. When I started to drive off the mountain from my 8500 ft vantage point, it was still 86 degrees. The deer that I did see were definately not moving very much. They would stay close to the cover, and then eat a bit, and dissappear again.

Later,

Marcial