Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

buying new gun

Old 06-29-2008, 01:20 PM
Fork Horn

Default buying new gun

so whats the `best` one out there? i mostly hunt deer, under 100yrds shots. i hunt in all weather and i`m rough on stuff...lol i`m looking for easy cleaning also.. not looking for much am i? lol
not my first muzzy, but looking for something that will last me for a long time..
looking at
t/c encore
t/c omega
savage smokeless (don`t know swat about smokeless)
thanks trophy..
Old 06-29-2008, 01:45 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: buying new gun

With your 100 yard common shot, about any of the muzzleloaders out there would meet that requirement easy. All it would take is some load development and practice.

Because your ruff on stuff and hunt in all weather, you would want a dependable breech design and the exterior more weather resistant. I would look at the stainless class of rifles there.

The rifles you suggested would be a good choice. I personally would look at the Triumph as they have little to no blow back, easy to clean, speed breech plug, and they basically took the Omega and improved a little on it. Also it is showing some excellent range results. With a good scope, this would be an easy 200 yards rifle with practice. Also with the weather shield finish, it should stand up to the elements. And should anything go wrong you have Thompson Center backing it up.

The Omega, Encore and even the Savage would also be great choices.... All of them are well made, strong, and will do the job. I also have little experience with the Savage but have read a lot of posts on them. Those that own them love them.
Old 06-29-2008, 02:03 PM
Boone & Crockett

I have to agree with Cayugad's post 100%. The only thing I would advise is to check your state's regulations and see what is legal.
Old 06-29-2008, 02:20 PM
Fork Horn

I bought an Omega X7 last year.. I love it. Once I figured out what it likes to shoot; with some help from these guys; It shoots great. Its my first T/C . Looks like it ll take a beating & the breach design looks fairy water resistant. It probably gonna be the only long gun that hits the woods this year. Not sure yet
Old 06-29-2008, 02:21 PM
Boone & Crockett

trophy hunter

Maybe you might want to add the TC Triumph to your list of rifles to look at. There are a fewof old die hards even on this site that bought into the new Triumph and really like it... And on another sight several of the old Knight fans have also bought into the Triumph...

They all work great, except I do not like the looks of the Encore...
Old 06-29-2008, 02:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: trophy hunter

so whats the `best` one out there? i mostly hunt deer, under 100yrds shots. i hunt in all weather and i`m rough on stuff...lol i`m looking for easy cleaning also.. not looking for much am i? lol
not my first muzzy, but looking for something that will last me for a long time..
looking at
t/c encore
t/c omega
thanks trophy..
Rifles are like ladies and their hair color, there is no "best" only "what you like". I have an Omega and I have a Savage, both are accurateexcellent guns. I would not buy an Omega today I would buy the TC Triumph, with weather shield, very easy to clean and from what I read with Blackhorn 209 very accurate. That said in a head to head comparison of the Savage to the TC Encore Pro Hunter, Savage wins:

Now as for Savage accuracy, you can't beat it, guaranteed 1.5" at 100 yards with loads published in the owners manual. So which is "best", I believe for a new ML shooter it is better to stay with a Triumph, because there are more ML folks out there that have those guns and can help if you run into issues. However you did say you had a ML, and you wanted something that would last a long time. Well the Savage is your gun then because I don't think you can shoot the barrels out and there is very little maintenance on them. In fact I have shot mine maybe 300 times and I have only cleaned it twice, they are more accurate dirty than with a clean barrel. Oh with my Omega I have to swab between shots, I suspect the Triumph will be like that too with 777, but not with Blackhorn 209. You should read the gun reviews here:

http://www.chuckhawks.com/index2h.muzzleloader.htm

and also visit a store that sells them all and handle them (Gander Mountain does).

As for not knowing anything about Smokeless, to get started read Randy Wakeman's content, things like this article: http://www.randywakeman.com/ballltd121.htm

Join Doug's Savage Forum and lurk-out: http://dougva.proboards34.com/index.cgi?board=Savage

A lot of great guys on that forum that only shoot Savage, but watch out and don't get into hot rodding the Savage till you can shoot it well with "book loads", abook load is:
300g XTP
44g of Accurate Arms 5744
Federal Primer
MMP Short Black Sabot

Now if you don't want to shoot a 300g XTP, there are lots of other loads and bullets out there that folks have tried---I have tried a lot with 5744 and IMR 4198. Some folks are shooting the Savage at 2500 and 2700 fps with 250g and 300g bullets and shooting 300 yards with accuracy. That is NOT the norm, but some do and are accurate. I would say if your into hand loading, into accuracy, then get a Savage.
Best Wishes on your rifle selection.
Chap
Old 06-29-2008, 05:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: trophy hunter

looking at
t/c encore
t/c omega
thanks trophy..
I agree with most of what the others said, but I will add a few things circumstances often change what is best for you.
#1 If you live in a state where you can use smokeless powder and are willing to stand the recoil of shooting heavy bullets at high velocity and carry a gun thats a bit heavy and a bolt action [they are of necessity a bit longer and more awakard] then a savage is the best for you.
#2 If you live where you can not use smokeless and are willing to pay a bit more [ I have failed to understand the people that buy a half dozen 500 dollar guns then scream about the price of the best powder]
try Black Horn 209 and a Triumph as long as you intend to put a scope on it and shoot sabots.
#3 If you live where iron sights are require then get an Omega the stock on the Triumph is designed for use with a scope.
#4 If you live where there are restrictions against sabots then get a White they are designed for conicals.
Old 06-29-2008, 05:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: lemoyne

I agree with most of what the others said, but I will add a few things circumstances often change what is best for you.
#1 If you live in a state where you can use smokeless powder and are willing to stand the recoil of shooting heavy bullets at high velocity and carry a gun thats a bit heavy and a bolt action [they are of necessity a bit longer and more awakard] then a savage is the best for you.
#2 If you live where you can not use smokeless and are willing to pay a bit more [ I have failed to understand the people that buy a half dozen 500 dollar guns then scream about the price of the best powder]
try Black Horn 209 and a Triumph as long as you intend to put a scope on it and shoot sabots.
#3 If you live where iron sights are require then get an Omega the stock on the Triumph is designed for use with a scope.
#4 If you live where there are restrictions against sabots then get a White they are designed for conicals.
Well said, good advice. Chap