Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 rainy morning; GM bbl!! >

rainy morning; GM bbl!!

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

rainy morning; GM bbl!!

Old 06-10-2008, 07:40 AM
Fork Horn

Default rainy morning; GM bbl!!

Raining this a.m. So I installed my new 28'' 1/28 GMbbl on Pa's old renegade! Dropped right in, didn't even have to trim the underrib!! Also installed Warne QD rings and4x Leopold compact scope I bought used,sent it to leopold for a rebuild,on it. .50 cal renegade,double set triggers. I'm guessing a start w/ 80gr ffg goex,260 to 300gr xtp or gold dots and go up from there!! Wish I had one of those digital camera,I'd post a pic. Looks really nice,wish Pa could see it, I know he'd abscond with it!!All I can say is SWEET!!! More later when I tune the ol' girl in!!
Old 06-10-2008, 07:59 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: rainy morning; GM bbl!!

Mine likes a .430 diameter 300 grain XTP in a crushed rib sabot with 100 grains of Goex 3f under them. Have fun with that rifle. I have a T/C 1x scope mounted on mine. I might switch the rings out to Warne QD and then get a Nikon pro staff for it as well. It is a great shooter.
Old 06-10-2008, 02:46 PM
Fork Horn

Dave; It was yours and sabotloaders "fault" that I bought this bbl. You-all were shooting them so well. Took me a while to get it. It was on b.o. from Track of the Wolf. It should go well with the WMC and its gm bbl. Still have to pick up a scope for that one yet. All takes time!! It ain't easy being retired!!!
Old 06-10-2008, 04:46 PM
Fork Horn

Dave, Is it ok to have that bbl drilled and tapped for scope rails? I saw thaqt TC in their owners manual strongly suggests against doing such a thing.
Old 06-10-2008, 07:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: gearheart

Dave, Is it ok to have that bbl drilled and tapped for scope rails? I saw thaqt TC in their owners manual strongly suggests against doing such a thing.
The GM barrel mounts a scope using the rear sight screw holes and the rear clean out screw hole already in the barrel and breech.
Old 06-10-2008, 07:24 PM
Dominant Buck

You have to order a weaver style T/C base for a Hawkins rifle. Then you remove the rear sight. That is the front mount hole for the base. The small screw on the top of the tang is the rear. The bases are kind of hard to find. Try Fox Ridge Outfitters.
Old 06-11-2008, 08:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

I couldn't find that base so I ordered a blank Picatinny Rail oversized in length and I'll get it cut down to size. Apparently TC doesn't have those Hawken rails made any more. (I called TC about it).

The Picatinny will require some work but will do the job. Good luck!