Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Rainy day help

Old 11-16-2004, 06:19 PM

Default Rainy day help

Posted this in the wrong area first (Hunting Gear Review) Anyway it looks like it will be raining opening rifle weekend in Alabama. Has anybody ever done any good in the rain? Doesn't appear as though it will be downpours. I'm going come rain or shine---but just wanted some thoughts.
Old 11-16-2004, 07:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Rainy day help

Inclement weather is usually some of the best hunting--have the right gear to stay dry and comfortable and get out there. The biggest whitetail I ever saw was standing in the middle of a field as the wind was blowing about 30-40 miles an hour. hunting fall turkeys in WV (where I'm originally from) in the rain is my favorite. You can sneak in the rain. Walk slowly, use binoculars and glass often even in thick stuff. rain dappens the critters sense of smell as well. Also, there will probably be fewer hunters when the weather is bad--use that to your advantage--be hard core and have an adventure.
Old 11-16-2004, 07:42 PM

I'll definately agree with above post. I was out a few days ago during a slight drizzle with a ton of fog and immedinately after sitting down I watched 4 does come easily within 20 yards of me. I think they tend to stay more active during this time. I've never been hunting with much more then a slight rain though.
Old 11-16-2004, 08:53 PM
Boone & Crockett

If it is raining I will be in a dry shooting house.