Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Rainy day help

Old 11-16-2004, 06:16 PM

Default Rainy day help

Well it looks like it will be raining opening rifle weekend in Alabama. Has anybody ever done any good in the rain? Doesn't appear as though it will be downpours. I'm going come rain or shine---but just wanted some thoughts.
Old 11-16-2004, 07:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Rainy day help

Some of the best hunting I've ever had was in rainy, misty weather. Sound and scent don't travel very well, so the deer have a much harder time picking me out. Visibility is also lowered, so motion is easier to camoflauge. With a good pair of binoculars, I can see them a long time before they can see me. On days like this, I like to just pick out a spot along the fencline of a wheatfield. The last time my friend and I did this, we could see 75+ deer all within a few hundred yards. My friend shot and missed, then his gun jammed. The deer never moved. They just kept right on grazing. We got the jam cleared and he nailed a doe. As soon as that white belly turned up, deer ran everywhere. The fence was just shaking from all the deer going over and under it. It was the most amazing hunt I have ever been on. And to think we nearly didn't go out because of the weather!
Old 11-21-2004, 06:16 PM

Default RE: Rainy day help

set up at the edge of a clover field one year in a tent during rifle season...took a pillow lol fell asleep...woke up it was a steady downpour and i unzipped to look out and down across the field a monster buck stepped out of the funnel strip down there across from me around 200 yards and i got my gun an unzipped anuff to shoot an it wasgone....just like that....that sucked really bad!!