Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Got an order of BP today >

Got an order of BP today

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Got an order of BP today

Old 05-21-2008, 02:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Got an order of BP today

My pards got back fromtheir NS-SA competition and brought me my BP. I got Goex for $12.50 a pound. They have a store up in the area that still sells the HolyBlack. I have a good stock of 2f,3f and one can of 4f for the FL now.

I think I am totally weened of substitutes now. I am finishing up loading some .45-70 cartridges with Pyrodex RS. I am also loading up some .38-55 cartridges. I hope I don't sound likeI am babbling?

PS: I think I am ready for some homework now!
Old 05-21-2008, 02:31 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Got an order of BP today

Well I have to agree with you. Black Powder is one of the most consistant powders you can shoot. Today I was shooting a GMB and trying Pyrodex RS, Pyrodex P, Triple Se7en 2f, APP 2f, Graf's & Sons 3f black powder and good old Goex 2f. I must have fired over fifty rounds. In fact I emptied out a Hornady 300 grain box of XTP's that was pretty full. And had to go get more sabots twice.

The best most consistant powder out there was the Goex 2f. I was shooting 120 grains of it with that 300 grain XTP and that load was smoking... When I work a load and all else fails, I always go for the Goex.
Old 05-21-2008, 03:07 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Got an order of BP today

I'm just about there myself rafsob. After getting a case of 3F GOEX for my flinter I started goingback to the real black stuff in all of my hammer guns. Like everyone else, I got onthe Pyrodex & Triple Seven train and forgot just how good real black is. My New Englander, Zouave, and the pitted barrel Renegade all shoot better with the GOEX. If I find a load with real black for the Mustang (my only in-line) that matches what I'm getting with 100 grains of T-7 (maybe 120 grains GOEX?) I'll be giving up all of the subs for good. Of course, I have about a pound and a half T-7, a little over a pound of Pyrodex, and 3/4 lb. of JSG that I'll have to use up before I'm "sub free".