Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Build with this inline action >

Build with this inline action

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Build with this inline action

Old 05-18-2008, 01:27 AM
Typical Buck

Default Build with this inline action

I came across this inline action for salethat allows a person to build their own customized inline. For a long time I've wished that an inline rifle was available
with a barrel that had a round ball twist, and having an action like this one makes it possible. But in the end, it would still be pretty expensive to build one though.
There was a builder that did offer such a gun whose website I viewed a
long time ago, but I could never locate it again. And that was a relatively expensive rifle too.
There's no mention of whether the ignition is by an 11 cap or 209 primer though, or if it even has a safety mechanism.

http://www.longrifles-pr.com/actions.shtml
Old 05-18-2008, 09:05 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Build with this inline action

arcticap, If you want to build a highly effecant PRB gun look at the underhammer actions, they give all the advantages of the inline you can use any type barrel you want and they are cost effective in all ways.
The first inline I ever seen I made for a squarril rifle in 1962 out of a 22 semiauto action that had a ruined barrel could fined one of them if you looked around. Lee

Old 05-18-2008, 11:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think Whitehair (Bob Haverstock) has one of those actions he would sell.
Old 05-18-2008, 09:03 PM
Typical Buck

For many people, the underhammers are a great option forbuilding a roundball gun that has the capability of easily switching barrels.
I have an old Numrich Buggy Rifleunderhammerso I'm familiarwith it, and these aren't my cup of tea. The stockdoes nothave as modernof a design,the 2 piecetrigger is not asresponsive, the trigger guard mainspring is crude and the hammer islocated too close to the wrist and just not conducive for easy cocking(while hunting for instance).
Inline actionsbuilt withmodern 1 piece pistol grip stocks are more ergonomic and just look at the adjustable Timney trigger that this inline action has.That's an advantage for any gun to have built into it, evenif this action isn't the mostperfectly designed.
This is just one of those unique products that I happened across that stimulatesa person'simagination into consideringnew muzzle loading riflepossibilities and configurations.
A person can design a riflehavingthe specific length, caliber, twist and even the depth andtypeof rifling of their choosing. Possibly they couldturn it intoa switch barrel rifle to cover different needs and uses, similar to the TC System One with a shotgun barrel, and small & large caliber barrelsavailable for it, but with even more options. With the right action the possibilities are endless really, so people's choices aren't limited to only factory production models and features.

Showing this action was justintended to be food for thought. If money weren't an objectto considerthen I'm willing tobet that more folks would considerbuilding themselvesa semi-custominline to indulgein their hobby, especially if they could affordablybuild oneto the exact spec.'sof their choosing.
Old 05-18-2008, 09:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

A look at the underhammer actions we use a Friend ship wouldnt hurt, they have some very nice set triggers. Lee
Old 05-18-2008, 10:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

a similar action by Alex Hamilton of Ten-Ring Precision (1969 design) found on Doc White's pages http://whitemuzzleloading.com/history_muzzleloading.htm