Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Muzzleloading maintenance >

Muzzleloading maintenance

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Muzzleloading maintenance

Old 05-14-2008, 05:35 PM

Default Muzzleloading maintenance

Got a question. A week or so ago I shot my muzzleloading shotgun a few times (Knight TK2000) and after the final shot I reloaded the gun to then hunt the turkey season with. My question is: Should I run something through the nipple to guarantee I have no ignition problems if a shot presents itself or will this not be an issue after only a few shots?
Old 05-14-2008, 06:00 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Muzzleloading maintenance

I would not recommend doing what you are doing.

It's fine to load a clean dry barrel, and leave the load in the bore for an extended period of time. But once you fire a load, even one shot, the bore is fouled with components that will absorb moisture from the air and cause rust and/or corrosion. A load in a fouled bore is OK for the duration of a day's hunt. Anything beyond that is, in my opinion,asking for trouble.

That load has been sitting in a fouled bore for over a week. If it were me, I'd pull the load, remove the nipple,clean everything up real well, make sure the bore is dry, and then reload. If it's convenient to do, try to shoot the load out and see if it goes with the first cap.
Old 05-14-2008, 07:21 PM

ORIGINAL: Semisane

I would not recommend doing what you are doing.

It's fine to load a clean dry barrel, and leave the load in the bore for an extended period of time. But once you fire a load, even one shot, the bore is fouled with components that will absorb moisture from the air and cause rust and/or corrosion. A load in a fouled bore is OK for the duration of a day's hunt. Anything beyond that is, in my opinion,asking for trouble.

That load has been sitting in a fouled bore for over a week. If it were me, I'd pull the load, remove the nipple,clean everything up real well, make sure the bore is dry, and then reload. If it's convenient to do, try to shoot the load out and see if it goes with the first cap.

Semi is 100% correct pull that load and clean ASAP!

Ron
Old 05-14-2008, 09:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

They told you right if you dont listen you will be sorry. Lee
Old 05-19-2008, 01:31 PM
Dominant Buck

I was cleaning mine out every day. I did not take any chances in leaving the shotgun loaded. I was shooting #11 caps though as I like them more then the red disc primers.