Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 KRB and Hornady XTP >

KRB and Hornady XTP

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

KRB and Hornady XTP

Old 05-17-2008, 07:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default KRB and Hornady XTP

Finally got a two day break from work and hit the range.
I only took the KRB and some bullets and sabots I wanted to try.
I tried some homecast, and some store boughts. The best performers that day were the Hornady HP/XTP by far!
100 yards (known distance)
100 grains pyrodex RS
Black Hornady sabot
Hornady HP/XTP 240 grain

The first shot as you can see was low and left.
I walked them into the centerin increments and bingo.
I think I have my Whitetail load.
I dig these XTPs!

Old 05-17-2008, 07:50 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: KRB and Hornady XTP

Good shooting. The 240 grain XTP is a good hog and deer killer.
Old 05-18-2008, 07:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Glad to hear it. I just bought a box of 240 gr. XTP's for my KRB but haven't had a chance to test them out yet. Great shooting by the way.
Old 05-18-2008, 08:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

I wanted to try the 300 grain XTPs but BassPro didn't have them. Only the 240.
That's OK. 240 grains is plenty for hogs and Whitebutt deer.
Old 05-18-2008, 08:33 AM
Boone & Crockett

mcawful

If you ever get a chance and are so inclined - pick up some Speer Gold Dots. These bullets are bonded and can not come apart. Their construction allows then to act somewhat like a Nosler or Barnes. They can not pancake - either - but boy do they penetrate and they are accurate.

If you like the 44 cal type bullet the 270 SP grain Gold Dot is an excellent all-arounder. I prefer 45 cals so I would shoot the 250 grain HP for whitetail and 300 grain for elk. I shoot both bullets with 110 grains of T7. Have not tapped into the BH-209 yet - got two bottles here but am in no hurry yet...
Old 05-18-2008, 01:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nice shooting! Both the guys I go hunting with have used the 240 grain XTP for years with excellent results. I believe something like 20 deer taken in 5 years with 2 that were shot but not recovered. Both deer that weren't recovered were poor hits - one was a bad shot in the paunch, and the other was very high - seemed like it went over the spine. All deer that were hit in the heart/lung area were recovered within 75 yards of the hit. XTP's may not be very glamorous, and may not result in spectacular kills, but they are very consistent and reliable. They also tend to shoot accurately out of a lot of different rifles.
Old 05-18-2008, 01:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

They sure have worked well for me, I switched to Gold Dots but I have never lost a deer with the XTP I switched because the Gold Dots give me less flyers my gun seems to like them better. Lee
[I used the XTP Mag 240 for over 1800 fps and the 250 XTP for under that.]
Old 05-18-2008, 06:04 PM
Boone & Crockett

You really should give the Gold Dots a try mcawful. In my Mustang they give me better groups than XTPs, and they surely do perform well on deer.
Old 05-18-2008, 07:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nice shooting there. Looks like you have a deer killer. I've shot the 200s, 240s and 300s for deer. I like them all. I use the 300 XTP Mags because I like a harder, heavierbullet.Granted I don't do a lot of testingbut what I have done they have preformed great and can't recall ever having one come apart. As far as on live game, I've never had one come apart. 95% of the time I get a pass through with them which is what I prefer. I know some other folks do not. To each his own of course. I think the bottom line is, shoot what you feel comfortable with.
Old 05-19-2008, 04:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've heard the Speer Gold Dots are the real deal, but BassPro doesn't carry them. Or at least this Basspro doesn't. Only the Hornady, T/C, CVA slickloads, Powerbelts, Cheapshots, and a couple of the Knight bullets.
I'll order some of the Speer Gold Dots and try them out.

I reckon I oughta try some of them there Powerbelt's in the KRB. It may like them.

Quick Reply: KRB and Hornady XTP

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.