Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Question - Advice guys >

Question - Advice guys

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Question - Advice guys

Old 04-26-2008, 05:39 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default Question - Advice guys

OK - I'm a T/C and Lyman fan but I was at the local K mart today and they have a traditions ML, in 50 cal, percussion for $109. What do you think? How are these rifles. Do they shoot as good as the T/Cs and Lymans?
Old 04-26-2008, 07:23 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Question - Advice guys

I own a lot of Traditions* brand traditional rifles, but I only bought one of their inline rifles. The way it was made was a joke, and it went back to the store. Now I am sure I was just unlucky. Traditions make a good rifle, but they are just not for me. I am almost positive it would be a good 100 yard rifle. Maybe more with a scope. What model was it?

Do they shoot as good as the T/C and Lyman rifles.... well that depends on what we are talking.. Will they be a hunting rifle.. sure. Will they be a target rifle. Probably not, but neither will the T/C or Lyman's. I am sure it would shoot just fine.
Old 04-26-2008, 07:55 PM

Good Gear sells itself.....

A hundred scoots don't buy much.
Old 04-26-2008, 09:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

bronko I have a Traditions inline...trigger sucks but it is a very very good shooter for the 99 it cost me. Shoots the 240 , 300 xtps and the 300 Shockwaves excellent.
Old 04-26-2008, 10:13 PM

I dont get it. A lot of people on here abuse the heck out of the TC warranty by sending their stuff in to get repairs when then the other guys with the cva/traditions/ other models complain about the stuff they have and never even think of calling the company, telling them what the problem is they are having and getting the problem fixed!

For cryin out loud, cva is sending me new sights for my winchester because i simply emailed them and told them the rifle i bought used was missing the rear sight and the sling swivel!

I strip a screw on my traditions lock, they tell me to send it in and they fix it for free!

I dont know how many people i've given info to on how to get their stiff cva trigger fixed correctly.

In other words, If you buy a product and there is a flaw, What do you do?
Old 04-27-2008, 07:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Several of my hunting buddies have Traditions rifles. I would compare most Traditions to CVA - the fit & finish, looks and overall quality isn't as good as TC in general, but they tend to shoot really well. My buddy's inline Traditions shoots 1.5 inch groups with 240 grain XTP's all day long at 100 yards. He also has a sidelock Traditions that shoots pretty good - something like 2" groups at 50 yards and 4-5" at 100 yards with open sights. This is also with XTP's - he doesn't shoot PRB or conicals.
Old 04-27-2008, 09:20 AM
Dominant Buck

Never judge a book by its cover or a rifle by its price. Granted some of the less expensive rifles might lack a little in the fit and finish, but I own some of them that would shoot all day long with the expensive ones for a lot less money I might add..

And Frontier Gander is right.. I never had a problem with CVA and their customer service. Although every CVA rifle but one, that I bought new, had to be sent back to the factory for something. One of them twice. I only sent two different T/C rifles back. Once when I broke a stock and they replaced it, and once when they changed out a lock for me.

Now Traditions I can not say the same thing. When a rifle I purchased new failed (the stock split), they told me they no longer make the model, and had no stocks in their warehouse. So the crack in the wood .. I was told to glue it. While I did not like being told that, for what I paid for the rifle, I glued it, and still shoot it from time to time with reduced powder charges so as not to stress the stock. Two of the traditional Hawkins rifles I bought just would not fire off caps. Something was wrong. I argued on the phone with them, and even demonstrated over the phone that the rifles would not fire caps. Finally they told me to send the locks back to them which I did. They were returned with a note that they could find no problem. But on their return they worked perfect... so what did they do? Looked like new parts to me, but I could not prove it.

Still I never judge a rifle by the cost. Just because it might cost a lot more money does not mean it will shoot any better then any other rifle. Granted the higher end rifles are more likely to function perfect and shoot well, but so will the cheap ones...
Old 04-27-2008, 09:38 AM
Boone & Crockett

Well, although a $100 isn't too much, I don't think I am going to get it. I can get a used Hawken for a bit over $200 and know I have a good rifle and if not, give them a call and get it right. Thanks for the words of wisdom.
Anyway, I wasn't that thrilled about a traditional rifle with a synthetic stock.
Old 04-27-2008, 09:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

What type of Traditions? Have 3, with the oldest being the Deerhunter carbine (like the octagon barrel). Only thing I changed is the ramrod, orriginal was wood, and I made one out of an Easton como arrow shaft. Looking back over the 25 years that I have owned it, I have most likely harvested more deer with it than any other rifle I own. The only drawback of that old percussion cap ML as compared to my inlines is that weather has a greater effect on it since the percussion cap is exposed. But can you go wrong for $109? I think I payedaround that when I bought the Deerhunter 25 years ago.
Old 04-27-2008, 10:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

as a consumer who has delt with many companies through the years i can say first hand that cva is nowhere near the level of a thompson center in customer service and parts used in there muzzleloaders. cva uses cheap crappy pot metal in many of there key parts like adjustable sights and trigger parts.there is no comparison quality wise. traditions i believe are from the same factory as i have interchanged parts between cva and traditions. my vote is save your money.