Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Bolster screw?

Old 04-23-2008, 01:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Bolster screw?

The screw or bolt on the bolster of my sidelock,What is it for and should it come out?
Newbie Question

cayugad,the modifications you told me about for the new GM Barell were spot on,after them it dropped right in,Thanks Dave
Old 04-23-2008, 01:58 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Bolster screw?

The bolster clean out screw is not as important as we are lead to believe. A lot of rifles no longer even have them. If they are there, I do take them out if they want to come out. If not, leave them alone. When you give the water bath it increases the water and pressure which means a cleaner barrel and bolster for that matter, with it removed. When done, I like to make sure the barrel is dry, but I then take some alcohol and pour that into the nipple and bolster hole. Let it sit in there a little and then with a fuzzy pipe cleaner, push that into the different nipple and bolster holes just as deep as you can get it to go. That is basically drying and clearing the channel all the way to the chamber where the powder sits.. I then like to take an air compresser and blow air through there as well. This dries it as well and makes sure there is nothing left from the fuzzy pipe cleaner. A little anti seize on the threads, and then carefully so you do not drop it, replace it. It will then come out nice and easy the next time.
Old 04-23-2008, 04:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks Dave
The one on the old 50 cal barrel wont budge,I have twisted two screwdrivers trying.
The 45cal barell looks real good with the fiber optic sights,cant wait to shoot it.
I have to wait for my health to improve first.
Old 04-23-2008, 05:12 PM
Dominant Buck

taking them out is not a matter of life and death. If they don't move, I don't force them only because I do not want to bugger up the screw. So you should be fine.. I bet that .45 caliber does look nice. But when your health is better the rifle will still be there. It will be interesting to see how well it shoots for you.
Old 04-24-2008, 08:29 AM
Typical Buck

Dave
have you every run accross stainless steel bolster screws for CVA they remove with a nipple wench I bought 6 of them a while ago they are much easier to remove and replace wish they made the same thing fot TC.
Old 04-24-2008, 08:50 AM
Dominant Buck

Nope, never seen them...
Old 04-25-2008, 07:10 AM
Typical Buck

Saxman - After 30 years the bolster screw on my CVA got buggered up.I wasable to clamp it in the jaws of a good quality set of vice-grips and turn it out. You will sacrifice the screw, but that's not a problem. Carry the barrel to the hardware store and get a set screw to fit the bolster hole. They turn with a smallAllen wrench. The screw and wrench will set you back all of $2. I remove the bolster screw on every cleaning and wouldn't have it any other way. Besides, you don't want to look at that mucked up screw on your pretty rifle.
Old 04-27-2008, 10:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

im not sure of the size of a cva drum screw but its probably metric. just being over cautious here but i wouldnt stick just any screw in it. most hardware stores sell light duty zinc scews.i would only use a higher grade hardned screw or why not just buy a replacement. a company called deer creek handles cva replacement caplock parts.the screws are 1$
Old 04-27-2008, 01:46 PM
Typical Buck

The CVA screw is metric. I was able to get a steel set screw in metric from my local store. It's a True Value store and well stocked.