Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Kentucky Pistol problems >

Kentucky Pistol problems

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Kentucky Pistol problems

Old 03-24-2008, 07:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Kentucky Pistol problems

Gents,
I took my Kentucky pistol( .50) to the range for the first time yesterday to kind of get a feel for it and it's quirks.
I set the target stand at 25 yds and started blasting away.
First shot didn't even touch paper. Nor did the 2nd, 3rd or 4th.
Brought the target stand closer. 20 yds away. Nuthin.
15yds. Nicked the edge of the target. I was holding at 6 o'clock ( punkin on a post) so I adjusted my point of aim considering whereI nicked the paper.
Next shot, nothing.
I was shooting prb and25, 30, 35, 40 grains pyro P. Changed the charge a couple of times to try to get on target. But no joy.
After getting fairly discouraged, I picked up my SAA and put the 50 cartridges I had reloaded right in the center ring of the target. A couple of fliers, but that was all me. My shooting is fine, gotta be the gun, the charge, or the projectile.

I figured before I waste more powder and lead, I'll pick some brains.
I read somewhere that this Pistol has a 1:20 twist. Should I be shooting conicals intead of prb?
Will it matter that much ina 9" barrel?

Anyone have any success with this type of pistol?
Old 03-24-2008, 06:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Kentucky Pistol problems

I'd get a big target with a small aiming point and see if it's grouping or not. Sometimes the sights can be way off!
Most pistols are meant for PRB loads. You might try adifferent patch thickness and see if changes groups, too.
My Lyman Plains Pistol is accurate with both PRB and short conicals (Lee REAL), but I'm not certain of the rate of twist. I did switch from the factory sights to f/o sights and groups improved greatly.
Old 03-24-2008, 06:15 PM
Dominant Buck

Some of them old horse pistols were a night mare for accuracy. I actually in my life sold a black powder gun.. it a was .45 caliber Jukar kentucky pistol. It went off fine, but I would have been more of a danger if I had thrown the pistol at the target instead of shoot. I never was able to get any kind of a group with that thing and the truth be told, I used to be a very good pistola and revolver shot.

Try dropping the powder charge down to 25-30 grains of 3f powder. Sometimes you push a pistol too hard the ball skips the rifling and you just spray all over. Then try a patched roundball... Start your shooting at 15 yards and get your group down there, then move back.
Old 03-24-2008, 06:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks guys. I've got to admit,...it was frustrating. Knowing I'm a decent shot, and not even hitting paper.
I'll try a couple more times with diff charges and projecties before I trade it off.