Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Scope lapping question. >

Scope lapping question.

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Scope lapping question.

Old 03-21-2008, 07:46 AM

Default Scope lapping question.

I loaned my buddy my scope lapping kit ( I just got it and only done a couple of rings) and he asked me after you lap the steel rings do you coat them with anything to keep them from rusting? He just bought a new left handed Long Range Hunter, Leupold Var X –III and weaver style steel rings. I said I thought the ones I lapped we aluminum but I would ask around and see if you guys know anything.
Thanks
Old 03-21-2008, 07:53 AM

Default RE: Scope lapping question.

Technically - anything STEEL, I use LPS 2 Spray.

BUT

Technically, when you lap a scope and you mount it, you would want to put a drop or two of RED LOCTITE under each ring.

So you wouldn't want to use a oil, because then you wouldn't have the proper adhesion.

The purpose of lapping the rings is to hone out misalignment.

Muzzleloaders are not shot more than 200 yards, and probably wouldn't benefit much from lapping.

Stainless Steel, won't rust as long as you don't use the same stones for carbon steel on stainless steel. You will transfer particles of metal when ever you use the same stone of disimiliar metals. Which will cause it to rust.

Stainless Steel does oxidize - which will tarnish the finish and give an opportunity for corrosion between carbon steel and stainless steel.

Hope this helps.
Old 03-21-2008, 07:55 AM
Boone & Crockett

Well, my limited experience is that all metals will oxidize to some extent. Carbon Steel is easy, you can cold blue the exposed surface then lightly coat with gun oil. Stainless steel I wouldn't worry too much about it - just a light coat of oil. Alum probably the same, The coating on a set of alum rings is actually a plating or anodizing- not sure what type. And unless it is exposed to salt air/water I don't think you would get much oxidation. You could give it a coat of primer and flat or glossy black paint to protect the exposed surfaces. I'm not sure how the paint would hold up.
Old 03-21-2008, 08:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

The entire lapped surface will be mated directly to the scope....there shouldn't really be a good opportunity for it to rust. Personally I would not worry about it.

Lapping is not just about accuracy. It relieves tension on the scope that could be caused by the straight tube being forced into a not straight ring channel. You may not gain accuracy, but your scope may last longer and may not be damaged to the extent that it won't mount correctly when you move it to another gun.
Old 03-21-2008, 08:14 AM
Giant Nontypical

The entire lapped surface will be mated directly to the scope....there shouldn't really be a good opportunity for it to rust. Personally I would not worry about it.
Oh it will rust and nicely happened to me with Leupold mounts and a Leupold scope on a kimber after a heavy downpour. I lap to reduce stress on scope tube and minimize cosmetic damage.

I have lapped Talley lightweights(aluminum) and do nothing to them after the fact and have had no problem even after hunting in the rain. Leupold rings either STD or DD have to be blued after being waxed, their nickel plated rings once lapped are showing bare chrome moly. Ruger rings which are notorious scope blemishers have to be lapped almost 100% of the time . SInce they use SS they are fine to use after lapping, their blued rings would have to be touched up. Always remember to use lapping compound that is non imbedding(stuff the lapping bar company supplies) don't use valve grinding compound or something similiar. If you want to do something to make the scope less prone to slipping use rosin from an atheltic supply house. Do not oil the inside ID of a scope ring for any reason other then to keep them from rusting once removed from the rifle.

If you don't want to mess with it buy Burris Signature rings with inserts and if you have a Sako rifle your good to go with their Optilocks.
Old 03-21-2008, 01:06 PM
Boone & Crockett

bowbender6

Why not reblue them with cold blue?