Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Big Brown suprised me this morning. >

Big Brown suprised me this morning.

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Big Brown suprised me this morning.

Old 03-07-2008, 12:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Big Brown suprised me this morning.

Ordered the 21" LRH barrel for the Hawkenfrom Green Mountain Tuesday and wasn't expecting it until sometime next week. I sure was suprised to get it this morning!!!!!!!!! Perfect timing, we got hit with snow/sleet and the roads are terrible, so I stayed home and had plenty of time to fit the barrel to the stock. Took some rib shortening and a bit of hammer adjusting (heat & bend), but it fit the barrel channel good & tight and the underlug & wedge pin were a perfect fit. I switched a brass thimble with a sling stud for the blued thimble while I was at it.
Looks like now I have to pace the floor waiting for the snow to melt so I can get out and test the new barrel.
Now if this thing shoots, I'll have to consider re-finishing the stock.

Old 03-07-2008, 12:45 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Big Brown suprised me this morning.

That's a perfect looking rifle... What an excellent walk around the woods rifle. Also for tree stand hunting. I was also impressed with the balance of the rifle in that Hawkins stock. I am sure you're going to like it. Once you get a chance to shoot it...
Old 03-07-2008, 01:06 PM
Fork Horn

Man those are nice looking rifles with those 21" bbls. I was looking at daves reports and they sure seem to shoot good. I might have to look for a cheaper hawkins or renegade and set me up with one of those. Kerry
Old 03-07-2008, 04:08 PM
Fork Horn

Welcome to the "21in" club!! You are going to like it!!!
Old 03-07-2008, 05:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

The more I look at & shoulder the rifle the more I like it. I balances amazingly well and the sights just seem to hang on the target from a standing offhand hold. If it will throw a Barnes Expander accurately I think I'll keep it around until next deer season. The tang on the rifle is almost browned looking, the breech plug on the barrel has a brown cast, and the barrel itself is a nice blue. Almost looks like a custom finish job.
I figured up my total investment in it so far, and it shouldn't require skipping any meals and starving myself to pay for it. ($189.08 + about 1 hour labor to make all the adjustments to fit the barrel)
I like my NewEnglander, but I had forgotten how nice double set triggers are for offhand shooting. I tuned it down so I can firmlyfeel the hair trigger with my finger then it goes off (just over a pound of pull). No creep at all.
I didn't know what kind of sights would come with the barrel, but was pleasantly suprised to find a good quality set of fiber optics on it. My old eyes sure like fiber optics. Glowing fuzzy dots show up a lot better than dull colored fuzzy dots. Actually I wear contacts for distance correction and the close-up clarity depend a lot on lighting. I can read at arms length in bright light, but in dim light I have to use reading glasses. With fiber optics I can still see to shoot as long as there is enough light for the sight to glow.
Looking forward to a range session with this one!!!!!!!!
Old 03-07-2008, 05:46 PM
Boone & Crockett

I know all about those eyesight problems, Wabi. I asked my Ophthalmologists if she could implant an LED in my right eye, but she looked at me real strange like.
Old 03-07-2008, 06:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Semisane

I know all about those eyesight problems, Wabi. I asked my Ophthalmologists if she could implant an LED in my right eye, but she looked at me real strange like.
Like maybe she though you weresemi-insane????
Old 03-07-2008, 06:07 PM
Boone & Crockett

Maybe so - but I guess there are worse things than a quirky sense of humor. It's a burden I bear. I once asked my dentist if he could put little stainless steel cutters on two of my molars for cutting fishing line. He said that would be a bad thing if I ever bit my tongue.