HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Big Brown suprised me this morning.
View Single Post
Old 03-07-2008, 05:30 PM
wabi
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Big Brown suprised me this morning.

The more I look at & shoulder the rifle the more I like it. I balances amazingly well and the sights just seem to hang on the target from a standing offhand hold. If it will throw a Barnes Expander accurately I think I'll keep it around until next deer season. The tang on the rifle is almost browned looking, the breech plug on the barrel has a brown cast, and the barrel itself is a nice blue. Almost looks like a custom finish job.
I figured up my total investment in it so far, and it shouldn't require skipping any meals and starving myself to pay for it. ($189.08 + about 1 hour labor to make all the adjustments to fit the barrel)
I like my NewEnglander, but I had forgotten how nice double set triggers are for offhand shooting. I tuned it down so I can firmlyfeel the hair trigger with my finger then it goes off (just over a pound of pull). No creep at all.
I didn't know what kind of sights would come with the barrel, but was pleasantly suprised to find a good quality set of fiber optics on it. My old eyes sure like fiber optics. Glowing fuzzy dots show up a lot better than dull colored fuzzy dots. Actually I wear contacts for distance correction and the close-up clarity depend a lot on lighting. I can read at arms length in bright light, but in dim light I have to use reading glasses. With fiber optics I can still see to shoot as long as there is enough light for the sight to glow.
Looking forward to a range session with this one!!!!!!!!