Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 bdc scope for a triumph >

bdc scope for a triumph

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

bdc scope for a triumph

Old 03-03-2008, 03:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default bdc scope for a triumph

what are your guys thought on the bdc scopes for muzzle loaders
Tc told me that a scope for a omega would be fine on a triumph since there just about the same gun
they said they sold one and i know Nikon has a model called the omega
not sure if it is for the omega ml or just the name

what would you do
Old 03-03-2008, 03:41 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: bdc scope for a triumph

Leupold offers a VX1 2-7x33mm that sports a Long Range Duplex and I am considering that one. If your shots are at various distances from close up to 200 yards then a BDC scope like the Omega made by Nikon might be a very good choice. I personally like the 2-7 scopes. I find them all that I would need and with the LRD and some practice, it should be a good choice out to 200 yards. After all. remember when we used to have a 4X on a 30-06 and shoot that far all the time... now it seems if a person does not have a high power, they feel inadequate. 7X is plenty for me, but the Omega having a 9X might be a better choice for you, and after all, it was made for the Triumph and Omega which I am guessing you are considering.
Old 03-03-2008, 04:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

i am just about set on the triumph
ORIGINAL: cayugad

Leupold offers a VX1 2-7x33mm that sports a Long Range Duplex and I am considering that one. If your shots are at various distances from close up to 200 yards then a BDC scope like the Omega made by Nikon might be a very good choice. I personally like the 2-7 scopes. I find them all that I would need and with the LRD and some practice, it should be a good choice out to 200 yards. After all. remember when we used to have a 4X on a 30-06 and shoot that far all the time... now it seems if a person does not have a high power, they feel inadequate. 7X is plenty for me, but the Omega having a 9X might be a better choice for you, and after all, it was made for the Triumph and Omega which I am guessing you are considering.
Old 03-03-2008, 04:51 PM
Typical Buck

i like the ballistic plex on the burris line of scopes. don't like the nikons. to long of eye relief and to narrow FOV. if you set your gun up shooting about 2000fps you don't really need a reticle like that. if you sight in at 3" high at 100yds you'll be about 3" low at 190yds whichis your max point blank range. so with a mere +/-3" (6" overall) do you need to worry about bullet drop? as long as you hold on the center chest the bullet will go where it needs to. (in theory). BTW that means it will be zeroed at 18yds and 165yds.
this was all based off a ballistic program i was playing with.
Old 03-03-2008, 08:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

I use MPBR myself but in a ML I find it almost useless as the wind plays more havoc with the bullet trajectory due to the low BC's, so the theory doesn't always apply...if that makes sense??? Instead I set up my zero for what I see the majority of the time hunting,in most cases its a150 yardzero for my ML's. I then just practice shooting and learning where I need to hold over or adjust to obtain zero/targetfor ranges beyond 150 yards. This method has worked very well for mewith both ML's and CF's.
Old 03-04-2008, 11:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: skeeter 7MM

I use MPBR myself but in a ML I find it almost useless as the wind plays more havoc with the bullet trajectory due to the low BC's, so the theory doesn't always apply...if that makes sense??? Instead I set up my zero for what I see the majority of the time hunting,in most cases its a150 yardzero for my ML's. I then just practice shooting and learning where I need to hold over or adjust to obtain zero/targetfor ranges beyond 150 yards. This method has worked very well for mewith both ML's and CF's.
Me too skeeter,

With my Omega and practical range of 200 yds I sight in for 153 yds MPBR and it's a six inch tube out to 0-200 yds. Anywhere I hunt 200 yds is a long ways out there and under 50 is the norm. Moose hunting might stretch it out a bit.