Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Boredom----How to make low cost tree stands for MLer hunting, gotta have Y-Tree >

Boredom----How to make low cost tree stands for MLer hunting, gotta have Y-Tree

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Boredom----How to make low cost tree stands for MLer hunting, gotta have Y-Tree

Old 02-25-2008, 08:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: How to make low cost tree stands for MLer hunting, gotta have Y-Tree

drywall screws are not that strong most builders will not use them for much more then drywall
now deck screws would work
i think being 1 1/2 thick would be good
but i would use green treated wood and properly 2x4 or 2x6 framed under the plywood

i would seal it will some spray on bedliner for a truck
i have done that to a small boat trailer to make it a flat bottom

ORIGINAL: gleason.chapman

ORIGINAL: johnny2

Looks like an accident waiting to happen if you ask me..

I have used the same thing,years ago..Trees grow and plywood gets weak..
The plywood is 1.5" thick, two 3/4" plywood piecesscrewed together with drywall screws (or deck screws, whatever ya have). See picture, not weak, lasts for at least 10 years and if it ever starts to get spongy, you install another one right over top of it in a tree.

The safety belt is a must. Much better than a commercial stand that you leave out all the time, since the bolts rust etc. Not a safety risk.
Chap

Old 02-25-2008, 08:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: How to make low cost tree stands for MLer hunting, gotta have Y-Tree

nice what did it cost
ORIGINAL: Semisane

I believe in comfort. Here's a 16 ft. ladder stand I use on my hunting lease. It's made from treated 2 X 4s and it bolted together with about a dozen1/4" galvanized bolts. If I want to move it, Ilay it down on the ground, take out the bolts and have three sections -the front ladder, rear support frame, and the seat/arm rest section.It's fairly easy to move, reassemble, and stand up. One guy can do it, but two is better.

Old 02-25-2008, 08:12 PM
Boone & Crockett

nice what did it cost
I built it about a year ago for a little under $100. The price of lumber and EMT have both gone us since then, but, if you have a private area to hunt where you can just leave it up all yearit's well worth the investment. Quite to get into, comfortable for an all day sit, and very safe. I've modified it a little - screwed a one-foot length of inch and a quarter pvc pipe with a cap on one end to the top of the right rear for a perfect umbrella holder .
Old 02-25-2008, 08:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

i might look at doing that if i get my land
i am a big guy and i do not like the small stands even the two man stand is to small for my likeing
every time i went up it i would nearly crap my self when it would move alittle

nice what did it cost
I built it about a year ago for a little under $100. The price of lumber and EMT have both gone us since then, but, if you have a private area to hunt where you can just leave it up all yearit's well worth the investment. Quite to get into, comfortable for an all day sit, and very safe. I've modified it a little - screwed a one-foot length of inch and a quarter pvc pipe with a cap on one end to the top of the right rear for a perfect umbrella holder .
Old 02-26-2008, 06:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

[quote]ORIGINAL: bigtim6656

i am a big guy and i do not like the small stands even the two man stand is to small for my likeing

Try a "Big Game" brand of ladder stand. My brother has several of these on his property, they are huge and hold 500 lbs. Rock solid. They are $250 however. Here is a picture:

Chap

Old 02-26-2008, 06:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bigtim6656

drywall screws are not that strong most builders will not use them for much more then drywall
now deck screws would work
i think being 1 1/2 thick would be good
but i would use green treated wood and properly 2x4 or 2x6 framed under the plywood

i would seal it will some spray on bedliner for a truck
i have done that to a small boat trailer to make it a flat bottom
The drywall screws are just to secure the two 3/4" plywood together, it is NOT holding anything to a wall or carrying any weight. Deck screws work, but they are a little long. 1.5" thick pressure tretated wood is very strong. You don't need the 2x4 or 2x6 under the Y-board because the tree is a Y and it fits nice in the crotch of the tree. I understand your a big guy, so am I, so being strong and stable is an absolute must. You can of course do these strengthening improvements. Chap

Old 02-26-2008, 03:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

those are some real nice stand they look 100xs better then the 100 dollar walmart stand
250 is alot but when it comes to me being 15 20 feet off the ground i want to be safe and if that means more money so be it [quote]ORIGINAL: gleason.chapman

Try a "Big Game" brand of ladder stand. My brother has several of these on his property, they are huge and hold 500 lbs. Rock solid. They are $250 however. Here is a picture:

Chap

Old 02-26-2008, 04:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

those are some real nice stand they look 100xs better then the 100 dollar walmart stand
250 is alot but when it comes to me being 15 20 feet off the ground i want to be safe and if that means more money so be it
Those stands are BIG like 48x30 for the platform. Strong (look at the double rails) going up. Two rachet straps into the tree, heavy duty ones. It takes two guys to put it up, but it is very nice to hunt out of. For another $80 they have an all weather shroud to put around it. We have those on our stands also. They are worth the cost if you hunt a lot and you have a "favorite spot", put one of these in your favorite spot and it will be where you always hunt. Chap