Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Low Cost Tree Stands for Bow Hunting and Deer Hunting >

Low Cost Tree Stands for Bow Hunting and Deer Hunting

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Low Cost Tree Stands for Bow Hunting and Deer Hunting

Old 09-05-2006, 06:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Low Cost Tree Stands for Bow Hunting and Deer Hunting

In response to a forum member I updated the information on making low cost, safe tree stands for archery and deer hunting:

http://www.the-gleasons.com/low_cost_tree_stands_for_hunting.htm

the specific info I updated is this document, in response to lswoody's request for more complete information on placing tree steps into a tree:

http://www.the-gleasons.com/How%20to%20make%20steps%20into%20a%20Y-board.pdf

My hope is that this is a help to all who love deer hunting, as I do, but can't affort 10-15 commercial stands. Chap Gleason Loudoun County Va

(Please see the >>whole<< design of these Y-boards by clicking on the link above, not just looking at this picture and making your remarks.)

Old 09-05-2006, 09:15 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Low Cost Tree Stands for Bow Hunting and Deer Hunting

Now that's some redneck ingenuity !

I would add a small square of expanded steel mesh to the tops of the steps , it's cheap and provides good traction when ice and snow are a concern , fasten them with large fencing staples .
Old 09-05-2006, 11:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Good idea on the steel mesh. Thanks for the compliment on redneck ingenuity, however,some of these we not my origonal ideas. The blocks were my idea, but the Y-board was my hunting buddies. I of course wrote the articles and published them to the web for all to see.
Chap Gleason

Old 09-05-2006, 11:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

How much is you're life worth?
Old 09-05-2006, 12:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

There is absolutely no way that I would ever trust my life on those steps. The entire load is placed on the wooden block at the point where it has been drilled. If the block would begin to develop a split or some weaknessalong the grain at the hole, it would snap right off.

Also, when weight is applied, the rope (if it stays tied) will stretch to some degree, which could cause the block to tilt, slide or wobble.

Now, I've seen some bad ideas in my day, but this one takes the cake. That's a broken neck waiting to happen, IMO. I would respectfully ask anyone seriously considering this method to re-evaluate what they're doing.
Old 09-05-2006, 12:36 PM
Boone & Crockett

I can not find the stat, but the majority of tree stand accidents come from "Homemade" stands and steps. I know a lot of guys can make better stuff, but TMA test these products for our saftey.

Lone wolf said it best "How much is your life worth"
Old 09-05-2006, 01:06 PM

I have not do so yet, but www.deerhuntingstandplan.com sells plans to a variety of different stands that someone can build on their own.
Old 09-05-2006, 01:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Looks like my first stand, same kind of crotched tree. Except I used railroad spikes sledgehammered into the tree for steps. Try slipping off of those! The steps are still in the tree but only protrude an inch or so now. I would hate to be the guy running the chainsaw someday!

In those pics...The4x4 would be tough to split in the direction the hole is drilled but I still think it looks shaky at best. What is the purpose of the plywood? Just another added measure of security?
Old 09-05-2006, 02:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would rather hunt on the ground than climb up that thing. Rural King has loc-on stands for $30...with a harness. Stands are cheap in the grand scheme of hunting items....long term health care/ nursing home careis about $4,000 a month. Buy a stand and wear the harness.
Old 09-05-2006, 02:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Dicks has a tree stand with harness on sale for $29.
I hope you'd consider that first

Quick Reply: Low Cost Tree Stands for Bow Hunting and Deer Hunting

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.