Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 First shot off target >

First shot off target

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

First shot off target

Old 02-16-2008, 07:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: First shot off target

arroshooter, with that strong a reaction to a fouled barrel I suspect that the power belt might be a bit undersized for that barrel, you might try a few regular sabots, in the mean time be alert to the fact that if it is that loose it could move off the powder and give you the same result as an obstructed barrel. Lee
Old 02-16-2008, 08:14 PM

in the omega when i tried powerbelts and pellets i had the same problem, and after the2 shot i was getting a 5 to8 inch group witha pellet powder load. i tried loose powder and got alot better results but not good enough so i went to loose powder only with a black mmp sabot and a .451 230 gr. 45cal xtp and set the scope to a clean barrel after that its perfect even with a 150 charge of t7. i tried 3 different primers and the best i came up with was the cci 209. but beware of the crud ring if you need to reload and make sure you get the bullet to the same seat mark. try all the different bullets and such as you can, thats the fun part of mlbeing able to use just about anything you can shove down the barrel.
Old 02-16-2008, 08:22 PM
Boone & Crockett

arroshooter

Now you understand this is strictly a guess on my part, but!, Iwould have bet the farm that it was a synthetic stock.

First thing I would suugest you might try, Cut a piece of computer printer paper into a strip about 1" wide 6" long... see if you can feed that in between the barrel and the forearm of the stock. I am betteng that there will be spots that it will go and other places that it will not go. It would be great if it would slinde under the barrel at the frontand then slide all the way to the back never getting caught.

Next thing I would like you to look at... take the barreled action out of the stock andcheck the stock. first look at the barrel channel area of the stock, are thereany shiny polished areas along the stock if there are then the stock is rubbing and moving the barrel until it seats. Next look very carefully at the recoil lug pockets in the stock. There are times that these pockets will rupture in the bottom and you will be able to see very small fissures in the plastic.

I can not show you pictures of all this as I am away from home and in the Tri-cities, were at home i have all of this documented with pictures and it would make more sense.

There is one suggestion that i would like to make but it probably will not make much sense without pictures. I would like to suggest you cut a couple of thin teflon cookies (from a teflon cutting board - i steel them from my wife) to match the size of the bottom of the recoil lugs.Install these in the bottom of the pockets then install the barreled action again + then run the paper test under the barrel again. If it slides all the way down - go shoot it and see what happens - you may have cured your problem.

Let me know what you think - i am headed home sunday and should be able to post some pictures or maybe i can find a thread right now where I have posted it before...

Found it....

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=2307179&mpage=1&key=Omega%2cweak ness&#2307179

What do you think...
Old 02-16-2008, 08:30 PM
Boone & Crockett

Lee

maybeI read his post wrong but i read it as he was saying his first shot is off the paper then after that everything settles into 1 1/2 groups at a hundred - which leads me to believe the first shot seats/settles the barreledaction down where it belongs....?????