Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 A few quick questions??? >

A few quick questions???

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

A few quick questions???

Old 02-14-2008, 01:40 PM
Spike

Default A few quick questions???

I was just at the Gander Mountain down here that is moving, so all black powder stuff is 40% off. Prolly spent too much money there today...(don't tell my little lady.

Anyway, How much of a difference is there in the hollow point Powerbelts and the Aerotip ones? Can I convert the Aeortip's into hollow points if I want, or aren't they made for that?

As far as powder goes, I picked up some Pyrodex pellets, but looked really hard at loose powder. Sounds like the pellets are a little more convenient, but will they burn as quick as the loose powder?

Finally, I saw American Pioneer pellets. I looked at them, and instead of being round like pyrodex, they are rectangular in shape. Are they any good/worth the money?
Old 02-14-2008, 02:06 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: A few quick questions???

ORIGINAL: fenrick

I was just at the Gander Mountain down here that is moving, so all black powder stuff is 40% off. Prolly spent too much money there today...(don't tell my little lady.

Anyway, How much of a difference is there in the hollow point Powerbelts and the Aerotip ones? Can I convert the Aeortip's into hollow points if I want, or aren't they made for that?
Well it would depend on what you want to hunt. I think any of them, if used properly would be more then able to harvest most large game. The main thing from all the reading I have done is.. do not push them too hard. They tend to work better that way. And no, you can not convert a hollow point ot a aero tip as far as I know.

As far as powder goes, I picked up some Pyrodex pellets, but looked really hard at loose powder. Sounds like the pellets are a little more convenient, but will they burn as quick as the loose powder?
The pellets will work fine in an inline rifle with a 209 primer. They do not work well in traditional rifles unless the rifle was made for them. They will both burn just fine if you prepare the rifle properly before you shoot. I personally like loose powder, but have to agree that the pellets are convenient and a lot of fun to shoot.

Finally, I saw American Pioneer pellets. I looked at them, and instead of being round like pyrodex, they are rectangular in shape. Are they any good/worth the money?
Some rifles do real well with Pioneer Pellets. I personally never had much luck with them in my inline rifles. BUT... I only tried one bottle of them. I have had good luck shooting the loose APP.
Old 02-14-2008, 02:28 PM

aerotip powerbelts just have a little plastic point. You can pull it out and use it as a hollow point. I've never noticed any difference between the hollow point/ aerotip when shooting game.
Old 02-14-2008, 03:14 PM
Spike

How about primers. I picked up some CCI primers. Are they all pretty much the same. I've heard good things about the Remington Clean-bore ones but, they were all out.
Old 02-14-2008, 03:23 PM

CCI's were my favorite.