Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Quick draw while driving deer questions? >

Quick draw while driving deer questions?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Quick draw while driving deer questions?

Old 03-02-2004, 12:59 PM
Typical Buck

Default Quick draw while driving deer questions?

In the past i have been hunting with a 12 gauge, no scope just metal sights. This has allowed me to pull up and shoot fairly quickly. However, I now have a 30.06 with a scope to hunt with.. My thinking is while driving deer or walking thru the woods, having a rifle with a scope may cause a problem in sighting the deer quickly before it takes off in a full out sprint. This coming season will be the first year i hunt with this type of setup. Does this present a problem or will i get used to it, or should i just purchase a 30.30 level marlin 336 (w/o a scope) to have a fast drawing gun for the woods?

I still may have the same problem as we go from stands in the woods to driving in the blink of an eye and i can only carry one gun at a time.
Old 03-02-2004, 01:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Quick draw while driving deer questions?

It can be a probem but you can get used to it. Practice at home raising you gun up. Always have your eyes on the target and your scope will come right in line. Crank your scope down to the lowest magnification also. I have found that I really like 2-7 scopes for my big woods gun for this reason
Old 03-02-2004, 04:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

It has caused problems for me. This past November I had my new scoped, bolt 308 with me when a friend jumped a big 8 that ran by me at 50 yrds with nothing between us. We call it "the incident", it will be years before they stop bugging me about unloading on this dear and not finding a drop of blood.
It was my own fault, the deer was at a full run and I still haven't mastered shooting a scope with both eyes open, but I would put a months wages down that if I had my Model 94, iron sighted 30-30 that he would be on my wall.
For the rest of the season I was very carefull about choosing which gun to take, 30-30 on drives and in the thick stuff, 308 only when sitting and near water and open land.
Old 03-03-2004, 11:30 AM

Don't waste your money or time on see thru mounts. Practice using that scope, carry in set on 2X or 3X and you'll never have a need for anything else.