HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - A few quick questions???
View Single Post
Old 02-14-2008, 02:06 PM
cayugad
Dominant Buck

Default RE: A few quick questions???

ORIGINAL: fenrick

I was just at the Gander Mountain down here that is moving, so all black powder stuff is 40% off. Prolly spent too much money there today...(don't tell my little lady.

Anyway, How much of a difference is there in the hollow point Powerbelts and the Aerotip ones? Can I convert the Aeortip's into hollow points if I want, or aren't they made for that?
Well it would depend on what you want to hunt. I think any of them, if used properly would be more then able to harvest most large game. The main thing from all the reading I have done is.. do not push them too hard. They tend to work better that way. And no, you can not convert a hollow point ot a aero tip as far as I know.

As far as powder goes, I picked up some Pyrodex pellets, but looked really hard at loose powder. Sounds like the pellets are a little more convenient, but will they burn as quick as the loose powder?
The pellets will work fine in an inline rifle with a 209 primer. They do not work well in traditional rifles unless the rifle was made for them. They will both burn just fine if you prepare the rifle properly before you shoot. I personally like loose powder, but have to agree that the pellets are convenient and a lot of fun to shoot.

Finally, I saw American Pioneer pellets. I looked at them, and instead of being round like pyrodex, they are rectangular in shape. Are they any good/worth the money?
Some rifles do real well with Pioneer Pellets. I personally never had much luck with them in my inline rifles. BUT... I only tried one bottle of them. I have had good luck shooting the loose APP.