Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Got to thinking... >

Got to thinking...

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Got to thinking...

Old 02-01-2008, 02:55 PM
Fork Horn

Default Got to thinking...

I had a post a week or so ago about a doe I shot during ML season in IL I could not find. I found the location where the doe was standing when I shot her from a tree stand (69 yards). At teh location, there ws meat and bone but not blood. ALso, at the site where I shot her, I found the blue tip to my T/C Shockwave which was a 300 grain bonded bullet laying on top of the snow. I did not notice any bullet fragments but I did not look for any signs of them either. We trailed the deer for a while finding nothing but meat and bone until we jumped it. We ended up finging good blood and jumped it again but were unable to find it the next day as it snowed.

I just figured I made a bad shot and caught too much briskit or maybe her leg. I was wondering though if possibly the bullet hit her front shoulder where I was aiming and blew up? This was the third deer I shot with the same bullet and the first two were complete pass throughs. However, on one deer I did find a piece of the blue polymer tip in the deer when boning it out. Isit possible it blew upor I am just trying to make excuses for a poor shot?
Old 02-01-2008, 04:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Got to thinking...

Buddy...Unless you find the deer, you can't tell where she was hit...

I know we all think we know, but I have seen too many guys swear that they hit in one location and when found, it was another...

It's hard for me to believe that the 300gr Bonded Shockwave "blewup"...

I've killed several with the 250 Shockwave over 90grs of Goex FFF, from 10 steps away to 148 yards away...In fact, I have hit several square in the shoulder blade, within 30 yards, they all dropped...

Good Luck...
Old 02-01-2008, 06:24 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Got to thinking...

I'm going to have to go with excuses on this one. Thats one of the very few ml bullets that can hold up to 2300+fps, however I've noticed they are not even close to the accuaracyof the regular sw/sst(my rifle, ymmv).