Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 wolf or optima pro? >

wolf or optima pro?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

wolf or optima pro?

Old 01-25-2008, 02:47 PM
Fork Horn

Default wolf or optima pro?

A friend of mine is new to ml'ers. Wants to buy one for VA's 2 week season. Can't make up his mind. I told him to put it to a vote on here. Sell him on one or the other.

Wolf, Black/Blued or Optima Pro, Nickel/Camo.

Old 01-25-2008, 03:02 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: wolf or optima pro?

Is he stuck on a CVA? I own both MLs and I preffer the Optima Pro. I've taken some deer at long ranges with the optima pro but most "Magnum" guns are capable of that feat. My son shoots the Wolf and he took a nice doe this year with it. (See earlier post on the Wolf). I would handle as many guns as possible and buy what feels best.
Old 01-25-2008, 05:43 PM

Check out my posts on Comments for CVA Wolf. And check your local Wally Worlds. I found my Wolf in Petersburg, Va for only $54.00. You may have to ask someone if they still have any in the back which is what I did. You never know what you might snag. Anyway, I was going to get the Optima but it wasn't in the boxand Iended up with the Wolf. Itshoulders pretty good and I'm looking forward to shooting it this week since I'm onvacation to finish up bowhunting at Fort Pickett. Will probably shoot some during lunch. I think either one would be good and probably the Optima might have longer range due to longer barrel but I sure do like the smaller good handling Wolf,too. Good luck.
Old 01-25-2008, 08:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't own either, but from seeing and handling the Wolf and discussing it's accurace with a few owners it would seem foolish to pay so much more for a rifle that probably isn't much (if any) better quality.
If he wants a fancy looking rifle that he invested a lot of $$$ in, go for the Optima. If he wants a good, accurate, rugged rifle the Wolf will probably suffice.
Old 01-26-2008, 04:36 AM

I own the Optima Pro and love the gun it shoots great easy to clean and never had any problems.I also have some friends that have the Wolf and they really like them,I have shot them and they are good little shooters.Check them out which ever feels right to you is the one YOU should choose.
Old 01-26-2008, 09:31 PM
Typical Buck

There are several things I'm absolutely sure of......

1. Unless they are sitting side by side, I don't see the need to dump my TV I have now for a High Def TV because I wouldn't notice any difference on a daily basis.

2. Unless I'm using a $1200 bow, I couldn't tell the difference between it and my Parker Wildfire.

3. If I'm not shooting a more expensive ML, I couldn't tell the difference between it and my CVA Wolf.

Tell him to buy what he wants and what he needs. He'll never notice the difference between what he buys and something more expensive, they both kill the same.

May as well add that I'm a cheap SOB in the absolutes also. I won't spend more than I have to for anything.