Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Optima Pro, Optima, or Kodiak >

Optima Pro, Optima, or Kodiak

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Optima Pro, Optima, or Kodiak

Old 08-25-2005, 02:06 PM

Default Optima Pro, Optima, or Kodiak

I am looking to buy at least one of these three muzzleloaders. Does anyone have an opinion either way. I like the Optima Pro, but the 29" barrel is a little long. I don't know if the pivot or break open is better for hunting in bad weather and rain.

Can anyone give me any insight on what to look for in any of these models.

Thanks in advance
Old 08-25-2005, 02:42 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Optima Pro, Optima, or Kodiak

They are all good rifles.What I would suggest is get to a store that carries all three and handle them for your self if possible. What fits and is balanced to me might be a total nightmare to you. Pull them to your should and see how they fit your line of sight. How does your face lay into the stock? See how they balance for you. Balance is real important. Are you going to mount a scope on the rifle? If not pay special attention to the sights that are on the rifle. Pull the riflw quickly and see how well your eye picks up the sights and lines them up. I am sure any of them would be more then enough to take a deer down, even at some considerable distances with practice. Of the three I have examined I like the Optima Pro.
Old 08-25-2005, 03:43 PM

Either one would be a good one. Personally I like the Optima. If the Optima pro seems too long for you, the regular Optima will be just as good. I have a Optima myself and it shoots so good I don't see any reason to get the Pro with the 29" barrel. But then again, it all depends on which one feels best to you. I also have found that the break open is easier to clean and to install and remove the breech plug and primers.
Old 08-25-2005, 06:22 PM

I own the Kodiak and my Brother-In-Law owns the Optima Pro. I really like my Kodiak, but when I got to feel how the Optima fit me I liked the feel better. As far as shooting goes I think the Kodiak shoots a little bit tighter groups. I think they are all good rifles and you will just have to see if you can try to get a feel for them and then decide for yourself. The pivot and the break both seem about the same in ease of use to me. Good luck on your decision. I'm sure you won't be dissapointed.
Old 08-25-2005, 06:26 PM

Why not wait a couple of weeks and purchase the new Optima Elite? It will have interchangeable barrels like the Encore. I am going to get one after the next hunting season, so I can use it for BP and firearms seasons.