Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Needing to slam shut TC Pro Hunter >

Needing to slam shut TC Pro Hunter

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Needing to slam shut TC Pro Hunter

Old 01-13-2008, 05:04 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Needing to slam shut TC Pro Hunter

mgrt67

Just a suggestion - try a primer with a copper cup instead of an aluminum one...
Old 01-13-2008, 05:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

My understanding of the ProHunter design is the breechplug HAS to be fully inserted else the ejector will not position properly and the rifle will not close. Is that right, PH guys?

So that shouldn't be the issue. The issue is with primer dimensions as indicated above.
Old 04-25-2008, 02:27 PM
Spike

I know this thread is old, but I finally got around to trying to resolve my issue. I emailed TC and they suggested I re-seat the breech plug. Even though I told them in my email I already tried, this I went ahead and did it again. The 777 primer still didnt work, so I finally went to Cabelas this week and purchased a box of TC primers. I figured if the TC ones didnt fit, none would. Turns out the TC primers fit great. I can now close the gun lightly and the hammer comes back with no problem. I find it odd that TC didnt recomend that I try a different primer, but oh well. They did say to send it in if re-seating the breech plug didnt work.

Thanks for the help from the people who suggested adifferent primer.It saved me having to waste the time sending the gun in for service.
Old 04-25-2008, 03:36 PM
Typical Buck

Glad your problem is solved and you told us PHers about it.
Old 04-25-2008, 04:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

I use those T7 primers and have not had a problem w/ them. I thought BP as well but glad you worked it out.
Old 04-25-2008, 08:27 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks for posting this question. I am experiencing the exact same problem with my PH using Winchester W209 primers. Please let me know if you find anything other than T/C primers that works.
Old 05-03-2008, 11:33 PM
Spike

I have the same problem and I think the problem is not the primers at all. Take off the foreend and you will see two locking lugs they slide back toward the trigger. I think that when the gun gets some more age these will wear in. I beleive it is a safety thing If memory serves me right you can't pull the hammer back if the gun is open. Those two lugs are part of that mechanizm.

Old 05-04-2008, 07:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

I use T7 Primers in my Pro Hunter, if I do not put a good seat in the breech plug you will have to close the gun hard! Give the plug a little oomph and you should be okay!