Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Needing to slam shut TC Pro Hunter >

Needing to slam shut TC Pro Hunter

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Needing to slam shut TC Pro Hunter

Old 01-12-2008, 01:13 PM
Spike

Default Needing to slam shut TC Pro Hunter

I purchased a pro hunter this year and have noticed when I close the gun with a primer in it, most of the times the hammer will not come back. I need to slam the gun shut and then the primer seems to seat correctly and the hammer will come back. Once the primer has been slammed in there... I can then remove the primer and put it back in and the gun can be closed normally without any problems. Anyone elseexperiencing this?
Old 01-12-2008, 01:20 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Needing to slam shut TC Pro Hunter

mgrt67

Just thinking from your description - the primer you are using is to big in diameter to fit down into the primer pocket. When you load as many shotgun shells as I do you learn all 209 are created equal - some are slimmer than others...

Which 209 are you using?

The worst part is I do not have a prohunter so I really can not suggest a better fitting primer...

forgot to ask, without a primer everything works just fine right....
Old 01-12-2008, 01:32 PM
Fork Horn

I had the same problem with a Tradition Pursuit pro . I had to slam the gun hard with Winchester primes to get it to close , but with Remington clean bore primer it worked fine , but i had a lot of blow by . The Kleanbore primers fit just right in my Encore ( not Pro hunter ) . Don't have to slam it , and No blow by at all . I saw a tread where someone measured the length of all the 209 primers , I wish i new where i saw that !!
Old 01-12-2008, 02:06 PM
Fork Horn

Switch from the 777 primers to another... the 777's are too big, they will work but like you said they require a little more force to opperate proprerly.
Old 01-12-2008, 03:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

I believe you stumbled on to one of the inherent problems of the Encore. The gap between the Breech Face and the end of the barrel. Close a feeler gauge on your action, and see how much distance there is between your barrel and action. Your's must be tight. Tom.
Old 01-12-2008, 03:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

I may be stating the obvious but is your breechplug fully seated?
Old 01-12-2008, 04:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

Some 209's are longer than others I have heard this complaint before, the prohunters seem to be sensitive to which one you use. An other thing they are sensitive to is a very slight amount of crud or dirt where the breach plug mates just in front of the rings. Lee
Old 01-12-2008, 11:47 PM
Spike

Thanks for all of the replies.

The breech plug is seated correctly and the gun is very clean, so I don’t think either of those would be an issue. I am using 777 primers and have not tried another brand in the gun. I assumed all primers would be of the same dimensions, but I guess not… I will purchase another brand of primers and try those. Hopefully that is the problem.
Old 01-13-2008, 05:55 AM

Having the same problem here. The only difference is that I'm using the Wincester primers.

Dan.
Old 01-13-2008, 09:52 AM

HuntAway may be right there..After shooting my Lyman for the first time
and cleaning it I had the same problem.The action would not close..
And the breech plug was not completly screwed in..It had about another
1/4 of a turn left..That cured the problem..Good luck

Quick Reply: Needing to slam shut TC Pro Hunter

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.