Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Laminate or composite >

Laminate or composite

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Laminate or composite

Old 01-11-2008, 05:46 PM
Spike

Default Laminate or composite

What are the basic pro's and cons's of a stock made from Laminated wood or composite.
Old 01-11-2008, 07:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Laminate or composite

Depends upon the quality of each. There are very good laminates and very good synthetics, but also the other end ofthe quality scaleis well represented. A good synthetic has to be the most durable stock one can buy, is usually lighter in weight than a good laminate, and often have something to grip in wet weather when the laminate will just get slicker. Laminates can certainly be more attractive and some withstand recoil better than some of the synthetics. Just MHO.
Old 01-11-2008, 08:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

I agree.

I still like wood better in the hands andon the bench(recoil). I findwood easier to bed and tweak(work with). Was a period wheresynthetic stocked rifles where my thing butI have beenmoving back to wood or laminates.

IMHO eye candy award will always go to wood andutility awardgoes to synthetic. Both have merits so it boils down to feel and function on a personal level.
Old 01-11-2008, 08:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

Because of the way they are now making the plastic stocks just barely strong enough I would go with a laminated. If the start making a laminated for the Triumph I will get one especally if its a thumbhole stock if not I willlikely have to set down and go to work making one next summer. Lee
Old 01-12-2008, 04:24 PM
Dominant Buck

If both of them are a quality stock.. the composite is more weather proof probably and lighter. I have laminate stocks. They do make the rifle more heavy. But I have them well waxed and never had a problem in the rain and snow with them. Also they are a solid feeling rifle, absorb recoil real well, and are beautiful to look at. If I had the choice, and they were both high end stocks, I would probably take the composite stock though. But if all I could find was the laminate.. I would not overlook it for that reason.
Old 01-12-2008, 05:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: lemoyne

Because of the way they are now making the plastic stocks just barely strong enough I would go with a laminated. If the start making a laminated for the Triumph I will get one especally if its a thumbhole stock if not I willlikely have to set down and go to work making one next summer. Lee
Laminate or wood? I'm not too handy but I'm thinking that if I don't do it and I wait for TC I'll be shooting from a walker or wheelchairwearing Depends. Any suggestions on a wood type and maybe a practice wood before the real thing.[&:]
Old 01-13-2008, 06:40 AM
Typical Buck

lemoyne,you'd ruin what i like about the triumph. the synthetic stock is weather proof and it works for lefties and the unfortunate righties to.
Old 01-13-2008, 09:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Wood is richer -- better resale value
It's quieter when branches knock against it.
It balances better
Shotsrecoils better - more straight back at you.

The only drawback I have with laminates areoccasional somewhat-slippery forends.
Old 01-14-2008, 12:29 PM

It depends on who's stock it is. On my Omega I filled the butt up with foam insulation and installed a Sims recoil pad it is as quiet as anything else I own. Those Sims recoil pads work!! If it is damp the wood stocks are slick and they seem to me to be colder to the touch That's just my opinion. If I were buying another ML it would be a Synthetic no question.
Old 01-14-2008, 02:13 PM
Fork Horn

Cayugad I see you wax your laminates. What do ya use. Sounds like a good idea to me. Thanks Kerry