Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

composite rods

Old 06-09-2009, 02:04 PM
Typical Buck

Default composite rods

The pros say that when using crankbaits composite rods are best and I wanted to know how they help you when you are fishing crankbaits ?
Old 06-09-2009, 02:42 PM
F3d
Banned

Default RE: composite rods

Slower action
Old 06-09-2009, 05:16 PM
Dominant Buck

ACtually during my recent study the pros like fast action rods..especially on crankbiats..they don't want the fish to feel the rod..they want the fish to absorb the rod..

I have ALL of my medium heavy rods on Craigslist for 1/2 price..I no longer use the broom handles..During a recent study..many of the pros have aborted thier broom handles for mediums except for when fishing heavy cover.Also , many use mono instead of braid.Most only use braid for serious cover.
Old 06-09-2009, 06:26 PM
F3d
Banned

ACtually during my recent study the pros like fast action rods..especially on crankbiats..they don't want the fish to feel the rod..they want the fish to absorb the rod..

I have ALL of my medium heavy rods on Craigslist for 1/2 price..I no longer use the broom handles..During a recent study..many of the pros have aborted thier broom handles for mediums except for when fishing heavy cover.Also , many use mono instead of braid.Most only use braid for serious cover.
I dunno Chuck.[&:] Did they really do a 180?

http://www.ricktilson.com/GLoomisRods.php

To me it makes sense since treble hooks will basically automatically hook the fish once inhaled. The slower action won't tear the mouth of the fish as easily either. Different strokes for different folks.

As for your medium heavy rods, were they fast actions?

Mono is obsolete.
Old 06-10-2009, 12:22 AM
Dominant Buck

"The slower action won't tear the mouth of the fish as easily either."

First of all we need to define what slow and fast action is..
Fast action..a flemsy lively rod tip
Slow action..a stiff rod tip
The reason why I have switched and some pros..because ...
1. Fish can detect quicker the rod and spit out the bait.
2.BIGGEST reason..the fishermen pull the bait out of the fishes mouth.

but I agree ..to each his own..Lightning Rods are not fast actions..I have them all up for sale on Craig's list for 1/2 price and they are brand new..My Fenwick though has a surprizingly alot of play so yes..although its a med.Heavy..I kept it..My son Matt has lost 90% of his worm fish this year..until I picked him up a medium Ugly Stick..now he's about 100% Main reason again from the pros.."Pulling the bait out of their mouth"

Reason 3..Broken line..With medium Heavy this year..I've popped 3 fish off on the hook set..One jumped and it was no bigger than 3 pounds .This should not have happened. New Power Pro.Palamar knot..Pull Set..which is less pressure..and stil POP!This should not happen with a medium rod as the fast tip..explained above ..mediums/ fast action will absorb that shock.Braid does not stretch and something has to give..

I have a set of books that were given ot me..secrets from the pros .by B.A.S.S. .This is one of my my sources,,that with expereince and inspiration.

Old 06-10-2009, 06:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've been fishing for LMB almost exclusively with medium graphite rods and I have only lost one LMB to date, a small one, and I believe it might have beena bad hookset on him, but I will never know. I dont know whether they heavy rodswere slow, fast, or whatever, I just know my heavy rods were jerking the snot out of the fishand on occasion ripping lips. There just wasnt enough give in the rod, and I didnt like the lack of feel that they gave. I only have one heavy rod now and it is used for fishing heavy brush with heavy jigs, and it doesnt get used often.

PS
I think a good medium stiffness rod can handle most any freshwater fishing in the South, other than large Cats. I catch crappie, bass, perch, catfish, everything with these medium rods, and I have only had one lost fish. I guess I am trying to say that if you want a generic do it all rod, and you cant afford multiple rods of different shapes, stiffness', and sizes, get yourself a medium stiffness rod with a regular action on it and go have fun.
Old 06-10-2009, 07:37 AM
Giant Nontypical

as line quality improves (ie less stretch) you got have some give somewhere, most people including myself utilize a softer rod for some baits and fishing styles and methods, that being said, i have several rods that are pretty much like chuck mentioned broom handles and a well rope, i use these for fishing hydrilla and milfoil, medium depth water 12-18', a limber rod would wear your out flippin a jig or big craw worm thru matted grass.. there is a place and time for everything, using the wrong rod in the wrong conditions will have some minimal effect on the fish, but will make you hate fishing certian things/styles/and methods, much like using a stiff rod for crank-baiting[:@].... as far as hooking fish, if you hook a fish in the fleshy part of the mouth just the fight of the fish will tear this area, but if your trying to run a hook thru bone or cartlidge you better cross their eyes or that fish will be gone[:-], and the conditions can worsen with a crankbait, were your actually trying to sink/bury multiple hooks[&o][:-][:@]
Old 06-11-2009, 10:38 AM
F3d
Banned

First of all we need to define what slow and fast action is..
Fast action..a flemsy lively rod tip
Slow action..a stiff rod tip
Wouldn't it be:

Fast action: soft tip
Slow/moderate-fast: soft tip and softer mid-section or butt section.

[&:]

The reason why I have switched and some pros..because ...
1. Fish can detect quicker the rod and spit out the bait.
That's what the treble hooks are for.

2.BIGGEST reason..the fishermen pull the bait out of the fishes mouth.
A slow action allows less tension to be applied. A fast action will rip right through stuff in the water. A slower action has a tougher time. With treble hooks, you don't need a whole lot of pressure to hook a fish.

My son Matt has lost 90% of his worm fish this year..until I picked him up a medium Ugly Stick..now he's about 100% Main reason again from the pros.."Pulling the bait out of their mouth"
That makes sense if he wasn't using treble hooks.

Reason 3..Broken line..With medium Heavy this year..I've popped 3 fish off on the hook set..One jumped and it was no bigger than 3 pounds .This should not have happened. New Power Pro.Palamar knot..Pull Set..which is less pressure..and stil POP!This should not happen with a medium rod as the fast tip..explained above ..mediums/ fast action will absorb that shock.Braid does not stretch and something has to give..
Here's what a pro had to say:

http://www.bassresource.com/fishing/...ons-power.html
Moderate to Slow:"The Slow tip will cause the blank to return to the at-rest position much more slowly than faster action blanks. With this characteristic, proper tension is much easier to maintain, keeping the hook engaged while the fish surges and lunges. The rod is much more adept at reacting to the fish's abrupt actions."

" I remember fishing from the shore one time. I was getting ready to pull my rattletrap from the water when I saw a three-pound Largemouth Bass come darting in, take the bait and swim rapidly away. It happened in the time it probably took you to read this sentence. I didn't have time to react, release the spool, drop pressure, set the hook, etc. Instead, the slow action of the rod allowed the fish to inhale the bait, turn, swim away and set the hook itself while I stood there watching in amazement."

Why do you think people want fast actions to set one hook in a bass? It's because there's less give and more tension applied when there's rapid forces acting on the rod. Of course, if you went down to M from MH, then that should help to make the rod less like a broomstick.

Old 06-11-2009, 10:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Gangly

I've been fishing for LMB almost exclusively with medium graphite rods and I have only lost one LMB to date,
you must not get alot of bites...

youve only ever missed one fish....[:-]...i miss fish all the time(at least one everytime out)...but once they are hooked they are almost always boated...usually fish are misssedwhen im not paying attention and just going threw the motions.
Old 06-11-2009, 11:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Chuck:

Rod actions very from brand to brand..."Falcons" Med 6'6 with a fast tip is different than "St croix Triupmh" rod labled the same...

each Line of rod from the same Manufacturer varys too.....

ive found that i prefer most rod makers Xtra fast tip rod offerings. in med and medium heavy

i like a rod with backbone and a nice even bend in the last 1/4 or 1/3 when flexed....when i hold the rod in my hands and shake it....i want rod tip that wiggles very tightly (that recovers fast).....not loosely.
(icant stand a rod that is Stiff and then the Last 5 inches isalmost like awet noodle,whippy iswhat id call it i guess)....i like a nice consistant rod action.

most ugly sticks (while they are good for the $$) have that Whippy tip action that i cant stand. (also the whippy tip doesnt cast as accurate) as a stouter faster tip .

ill also add that with Crankbaits (especially if using Braid ) you dont really need to set the hook like normally, usually you can just use amedium speedsweeping moton with your hands and they are on.....you dont reallySET the hook(jaw jack) hard

Quick Reply: composite rods

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.