Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 A good day - 20min and a hot barrel >

A good day - 20min and a hot barrel

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

A good day - 20min and a hot barrel

Old 01-12-2008, 06:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: A good day - 20min and a hot barrel

ORIGINAL: spaniel

Head001 -- It is not true that the sound gets there first. My bullets are supersonic to just beyond 400 yds.
It sounds to me like you have put alot of time and effort in your MZ shooting. I am simalar to you. I have spent alot of time, and money in my MZ to get it to shoot the way I want it to.

My Question's should be simple. If you think your load is still sonic(as well it may be), then how long do you think it takes your bullet to cover the distance of 1200 feet or almost 1/4 mile?? Then my follow up question would be this. If a deermoved two steps at a walking pace, how long would it take a deer to move two walking steps, and how far would that deer move if it took two steps?? Or how far would the deer travel if it only took one step??

I am not condemming or condoning long distance shooting with slow projectiles. I do alot of it myself. I am only pointing out what I feel are the facts. Tom.
Old 01-12-2008, 06:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'll let Taquamenon comment on this, but even as a Troll (I was from "under the bridge", ie the Lower Penninsula, and only lived in the UP for college) Escanaba in da moonlight really irritated me. It's a different culture up there but not like that. I rather enjoyed my time up there though 300+ inches of snow got old.
Old 01-12-2008, 07:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

How close were you to Grayling. I have been there a few times.(many many years ago). I had an uncle who was the VP of Bear Archery. The snow really was something up there. I remember my uncle telling me how many months they used their snow mobile for a car. Tom.
Old 01-12-2008, 05:05 PM
Dominant Buck

spaniel.. a great story. And it shows what can be accomplished when someone with quality equipment, excellent shooting skills, and the willingness to put in the range time can accomplish. I do understand some of the issues discussed reference the way these stories are taken in and out of context by groups and used for their agenda. Yet all that aside, does not diminish your accomplishments. Congratulations on a successful season.
Old 01-12-2008, 05:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: HEAD0001

How close were you to Grayling. I have been there a few times.(many many years ago). I had an uncle who was the VP of Bear Archery. The snow really was something up there. I remember my uncle telling me how many months they used their snow mobile for a car. Tom.
Grayling is "southern" Michigan I went to college on the west end of the UP, another 5.5 hours' drive to the northwest. Michigan is a lot bigger than it looks!

Yes, if I shot at a deer that was walking, it takes the bullet about half a second to go downrange and it could move significantly in that time. However, as I described in one of my earlier posts, the last time I made a bad shot several years ago was because I shot at a deer at pretty close range and it spun around while I was pulling the trigger. Range itself is not the only factor, the deer could ALWAYS move. I pick and choose my long shots so they're always at calm as possible and stationary as possible deer. Going back to that story I hesitated on a buck at 280 yds first thing in the morning, much of the reason being I wasn't sure he was calm enough to shoot at. He wasn't, and a few seconds later he bolted. It's not just the range and bad things can happen at any range. In fact, at longer ranges there is less chance the deer will hear, smell, or see you so that's actually in your favor that they will remain still if they're already calm.

One ALWAYS needs to time their shot carefully.
Old 01-12-2008, 07:04 PM

I'll let Taquamenon comment on this, but even as a Troll (I was from "under the bridge", ie the Lower Penninsula, and only lived in the UP for college) Escanaba in da moonlight really irritated me. It's a different culture up there but not like that. I rather enjoyed my time up there though 300+ inches of snow got old.
I know its not really like that up there, but I do laugh when watching the movie in deer camp. I live in Wisconsin and spend a lot of time in northern wisconsin, not all that far from the border. I have even ventured up to da UP a few times, mostly when I was younger and playing hockey, but I did make it up there for a deer hunt as well, but it got cut short when some of that 300+ inches of snow started coming down and we were a little worried about getting stuck there.
Old 01-14-2008, 09:11 AM
Typical Buck

From the non-UP perspective I suppose the way things are done and traditionshereby yoopers would not only seem (Escanabe in Da Moonlight) but in some cases very much actually are. No different really from any other very rural and isolated region (both economically and socially)of the US where local lore and culture is allowed to flourish or be repressed. There are elements to the movie that are 100% accurate.

Since the Mackinac Bridge however, the UP of Michigan has changed considerably to much different that what life was. I suppose everywhere has that saga to some extent.

Progress you know. For me I don't care for it. But then I have my slice of heaven so it's easier for me to say "let's keep things the way they were/are".

Tahquamenon
Old 01-14-2008, 03:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

http://www.escanabathemovie.com/

Guess I missed that one.